What is the chemical name for OI2?

• Thread starter DarylMBCP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, Nickel has more than one charge like most other transition metals, but oxygen diiodide is one of the strangest names for a compound. There are other compounds with only Oxygen and iodine, with different ratios. Depending on the source, nickel can have one or more valence electrons.
DarylMBCP

Homework Statement

What is the chemical name for OI2? Does Nickel have more than one charge like most other transition metals?

I think the name for OI2 is Oxygen diiodide. This sounds really weird. How about other instances if there are I3,I4,I5 or even I6 in a covalent compound?
One of my bks says it does while another says it does't.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Oxygen diiodide sound soK to me, but English nomenclature is not my forte.

Ni(II) is the most stable, other oxidation states were definitely observed but are rare.

The oxidation state of Oxygen can easily be inferred knowing that the charge of the I will be negative one. Best guess is that compound you show is called oxygen iodide.

For other reduction states of Nickel maybe try looking in a table of electromotive series (reduction tables). Do you find any Nickel ions other than Nickel(II) ?

Borek, do you if there are other compounds of only Oxygen and Iodine which have different ratios?

symbolipoint said:
The oxidation state of Oxygen can easily be inferred knowing that the charge of the I will be negative one. Best guess is that compound you show is called oxygen iodide.

On the second thought - I would rather go for diiodine oxide. Oxygen is more electronegative.

For other reduction states of Nickel maybe try looking in a table of electromotive series (reduction tables). Do you find any Nickel ions other than Nickel(II) ?

Note, that the effect may depend on the tables used. Some of my books list only Ni2+. Do not mistake absence of evidence for the evidence of absence :smile:

Borek, do you if there are other compounds of only Oxygen and Iodine which have different ratios?

Several. I2O4, I2O5, I2O7, I4O9 (first two are listed in several books, last two - each in one book only, no idea what it means). Interestingly, none of those books lists I2O.

Note: apart from translated Sienko/Plane, all other books I have consulted were published only in Polish.

Thank you but I've not learned about oxidation states yet. However, I've read before that in a compound, the element that is more to the left in the periodic table or, if both are in the same group, then the one that is higher is written first. Is my resource right? As for nickel, the conclusion being made is that Nickel is similar to Zinc, in having only one possible charge. Am I right?

DarylMBCP said:
I've read before that in a compound, the element that is more to the left in the periodic table or, if both are in the same group, then the one that is higher is written first. Is my resource right?

Only approximately. To some extent that's the way electronegativity of elemnets changes in the periodic table. It will work in most cases, but not for compounds of oxygen and halogens.

From Principles of Chemical Nomenclature, A GUIDE TO IUPAC RECOMMENDATIONS, section 4.2 BINARY-TYPE NOMENCLATURE, subsection 4.2.2 Name derivation (page 28):

The electropositive constituent names are cited first, and are separated from the electronegative constituent names by a space

So there is oxygen fluoride, but chlorine, bromium and iodine oxides.

As for nickel, the conclusion being made is that Nickel is similar to Zinc, in having only one possible charge. Am I right?

Again, it depends where you check. Simplified sources claim that Ni forms only Ni2+ cations, real chemistry books list several other cations. There are not many compounds where nickel has valence other than II, but there is no doubt they exist.

Ok, thank you for your replies.

1. What is the chemical name for OI2?

The chemical name for OI2 is diiodine monoxide.

2. What is the molecular formula for OI2?

The molecular formula for OI2 is I2O.

3. What type of compound is OI2?

OI2 is a binary compound, meaning it is made up of two elements, iodine and oxygen.

4. Is OI2 a stable compound?

Yes, OI2 is a stable compound at room temperature and pressure.

5. How is OI2 formed?

OI2 is formed by combining one atom of iodine with one atom of oxygen through a chemical reaction.