Discover Must-Read Old Math Books: Griffin, Hardy, Sawyer, and More!

• Thread starter theoristo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the books Griffin's, Durell and Robson, Hardy's, Piaggio's, Algebra through practice ROBERTSON, and A Survey of Physical Theory by Planck are all good, but the newer book, All you Wanted to Know About Mathematics but Were Afraid to Ask by Louis Lyons is even better.
theoristo
Since old books are almost always better and are recommended here,I found the following old books and I was wondering if should I use them or if they are too old:
Griffin’s book, Introduction to Mathematical Analysis
Durell and Robson, Elenientary Calculus, volumes I and I1
Hardy's A Course of Pure Mathematics (Cambridge Uni-
versity Press)
What is calculus about? by W. W. Sawyer
Calculus L.V. TARASOV Basic Concepts for High Schools
Piaggio 's differential equations
Algebra through practice ROBERTSON
A Survey of Physical theory by Planck
MATHEMATICS Its Content, Methods, and Meaning by different authors
and this one which is newer: All you Wanted to Know About Mathematics but Were Afraid to Ask By Louis Lyons
University of Oxford
Reviews?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Who said old books are almost always better?

Well do you know any recent good book ?

There are plenty marvelous new books, e.g., every textbook by S. Weinberg (quantum field theory (3 vols.), Cosmology (both the 1971 and 2008 books), and Quantum Mechanics) is great.

It's very natural that one gets the impression that "old textbooks" are better than newer is that only the good ones survive long enough that we are aware of them. The bad ones are simply not visible anymore and get forgotten :-).

Jorriss said:
Who said old books are almost always better?

Theoristo did. And he has quite a point and some good examples. Though the explanation might be that of vanhees.

Hardy I have always near and is excellent for both ideas and technique at its level (early university or late school advanced, depending on coutry) yet very digestible, Piaggio is brilliantly short yet full, simple and digestible, very good especially for those useless special d.e.'s esp 1st order they make you do and you forget, but you can find them again in the unlikely case you need them (e.g. for helping students do useless d.e.'s) though there are bits I haven't understood yet, then anything by WW Sawyer is good.

Not familiar with the others, but these are quite good
and
versity Press)
is even better
Hardy's book besides being a joy to read occupies an interesting niche. It covers the early parts of calculus completely. Most newer books either leave out important details or move to quickly.

lurflurf said:
Not familiar with the others, but these are quite good
and
versity Press)
is even better
Hardy's book besides being a joy to read occupies an interesting niche. It covers the early parts of calculus completely. Most newer books either leave out important details or move to quickly.
Durell and Robson is from 1933 can I still use it today?

I'm not aware of any new derivatives or indefinite integrals being discovered in the last 80 years, and the multiplication tables haven't been affected by inflation, so go for it.

SteamKing said:
I'm not aware of any new derivatives or indefinite integrals being discovered in the last 80 years, and the multiplication tables haven't been affected by inflation, so go for it.
Thanks.

Some nice finds. The W. W. Sawyer book is one I'd like to recommend for an informal intro to calculus book, but it is typically too expensive on Amazon.

I found other really old book:(older is better:biggrin:)
**Differential and Integral Calculus by Clyde E. Love
**Calculus by Henry Charles Wolff
**Introduction To Calculus by Kuratowski Kazimierz.((Of these three which is the best?))
Elementary Vector Analysis by Weatherburn.
VECTOR ANALYSIS AND THE THEORY OF RELATIVITY by FRANCIS D. MURNAGHAN
A Course Of Modern Analysis by Whitaker, E. T Watson, G. N
A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure Mathematics; Containing Propositions, Formul , and Methods of Analysis, with Abridged Demonstrations. Suppl by George Shoobridge Carr
Any reviews or any comparing with newer ones?

Last edited:
A review on amazon of Introduction To Calculus by Kuratowski Kazimierz says that it rivals Spivak?any comment?

Last edited:
There 's also Piskunov's book on calculus ,what's its quality compared to the already stated ones?

1. What is the purpose of "Discover Must-Read Old Math Books"?

The purpose of "Discover Must-Read Old Math Books" is to introduce readers to some of the most influential and noteworthy math books from the past. These books have had a significant impact on the development of mathematics and continue to be relevant and valuable resources for modern mathematicians.

2. Who are some of the authors featured in "Discover Must-Read Old Math Books"?

Some of the authors featured in "Discover Must-Read Old Math Books" include George E. Martin, G.H. Hardy, and H.H. Hilton. Other notable authors include W.W. Sawyer, George Boole, and Leonard Euler.

3. Why are these old math books worth reading?

These old math books are worth reading because they provide a unique perspective and insight into the development of mathematics. They also offer a deeper understanding of fundamental concepts and theories that are still relevant in modern mathematics.

4. Are these books suitable for all levels of math enthusiasts?

Yes, these books are suitable for all levels of math enthusiasts. Some books may be more challenging than others, but they all offer valuable insights and knowledge that can be appreciated by readers with varying levels of mathematical background.

5. Where can I find these old math books?

These old math books can be found in libraries, bookstores, and online retailers. Some may also be available as digital copies for e-readers and tablets. Additionally, many of these books are in the public domain and can be accessed for free through online archives and databases.

Back