Understanding Algebraic Expressions: Simplifying Subtraction as Addition

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways of looking at expressions in mathematics, specifically focusing on the expression -2x + 7y - 5. While some prefer to view it as the sum of three terms, others see it as simply adding the negative of a term. The conversation concludes that both ways are proper, but the use of subtraction can sometimes complicate things.
Holocene
I will use this expression as an example:

-2x + 7y - 5

Now, I know that this expression literally means " negative 2x plus 7y minus 5".

But, I prefer to look an expression like this as simply the sum of 3 terms. The terms are: -2x, 7y, and -5.

So, I prefer to deal with the expression more like -2x + 7y + (-5)

Is this proper?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is proper, but what's the point?

There are many different ways of looking at any "expression"- mathematics or not.

That is proper and sometimes useful. Looking at the same thing different waysis a good skill to have for math.

Its proper as long as it doesn't change the value.

mathman said:

:frown:

I agree with mathman, it's right but you're just complicating everything. In math the best way to do it is to follow the rules or you'll just end up completely confused...

mathman said:

Since addition is associative and subtraction is not, many algebraist do not look upon subtraction as properly an operation at all- subtraction just means "add the negative". To such mathematicians, the sum
(-2x) + 7y + (-5) would be much more natural than "subtracting 5".

HallsofIvy said:
Since addition is associative and subtraction is not, many algebraist do not look upon subtraction as properly an operation at all- subtraction just means "add the negative". To such mathematicians, the sum
(-2x) + 7y + (-5) would be much more natural than "subtracting 5".

I feel that way myself. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the subtraction symbol is just a shorthand for "add the negation".

What is an algebraic expression?

An algebraic expression is a mathematical statement that contains numbers, variables, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It represents a quantity or value that can change or vary.

How do you simplify an algebraic expression?

To simplify an algebraic expression, you need to combine like terms. Like terms have the same variable raised to the same power. You can also use the distributive property to remove parentheses and combine like terms. Finally, you can use the order of operations to simplify any remaining operations.

What is the difference between an algebraic expression and an equation?

An algebraic expression is a mathematical statement that contains variables, numbers, and operations. It does not have an equal sign, and its value can vary. An equation is a mathematical statement that contains an equal sign and shows the relationship between two expressions. The value of an equation is fixed and can be solved for a specific variable.

What are some common types of algebraic expressions?

Some common types of algebraic expressions include monomials, binomials, and polynomials. Monomials have one term, binomials have two terms, and polynomials have more than two terms. Other types of expressions include rational expressions, exponential expressions, and radical expressions.

How do you solve algebraic expressions?

To solve an algebraic expression, you need to find the value of the variable that makes the expression true. You can do this by using inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. You can also use substitution, where you replace the variable with a given value and solve for the remaining expression.