Relationship Between Symplectic Group and Orthogonal Group

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the symplectic group Sp(2n) and the orthogonal group O(n) in a given simplectic vector space and bilinear, symmetric non-degenerate form. The groups are related through negative dimensions and this is discussed in Cvitanović's Birdtrack book and on Wikipedia. There may also be a connection through generalized complex geometry. The opinion of E.Artin's treatment of these groups is also mentioned.
Bacle
Hi, All:

Given a simplectic vector space (V,w), i.e., V is an n-dim. Vector Space ( n finite)

and w is a symplectic form, i.e., a bilinear, antisymmetric totally isotropic and

non-degenerate form, the simplectic groupSp(2n) of V is the (sub)group of GL(V) that

preserves this form. Similarly, given a bilinear, symmetric non-degenerate form q in V,

the orthogonal group O(n) is the subgroup of Gl(V) that preserves q.

Question: is there some relationship between these two groups under some conditions

, i.e containment, overlap, etc? I think the two groups agree when we work with Z/2-

coefficients (since 1=-1 implies that symmetry and antisymmetry coincide), but I am

clueless otherwise. I have gone thru Artin's geometric algebra, but I cannot get

a clear answer to the question.

Anyone know, or have a ref?

Thanks in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can think of the symplectic and orthogonal groups as being related through negative dimensions. This is discussed in Cvitanović's Birdtrack book (and references within)
http://www.cns.gatech.edu/GroupTheory/

The Z/2 thing you mentioned is discussed on wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_group#Orthogonal_groups_of_characteristic_2

Finally, there might also be some sort of approach through generalized complex geometry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_complex_structure
(or maybe not...)

Thanks, Simon.

Just for anyone else who may be interested, my opinion of E.Artin's treatment
of orthogonal and symplectic groups is not --by his own admission--an in-depth
treatment. In addition, I found his conversational style difficult to follow; while
a more informal treatment may be somewhat dry, it is nice to have accurate
references, instead of statements like "the property we wanted", which is never
formally-defined.

My opinion, in case anyone is interested.

Thanks again, Simon.

1. What is the difference between the Symplectic Group and the Orthogonal Group?

The Symplectic Group and the Orthogonal Group are two distinct mathematical objects that have different properties and applications. The Symplectic Group is a group of matrices that preserve a special type of geometric structure called a symplectic form, while the Orthogonal Group is a group of matrices that preserve the length and angle of vectors. In other words, the Symplectic Group deals with symplectic geometry, while the Orthogonal Group deals with Euclidean geometry.

2. How are the Symplectic Group and the Orthogonal Group related?

The Symplectic Group and the Orthogonal Group are closely related, as both are subgroups of the general linear group. In fact, the Orthogonal Group can be seen as a subgroup of the Symplectic Group, as any orthogonal matrix can also be considered a symplectic matrix with a symplectic form of a special type. This relationship between the two groups is known as the symplectic-orthogonal duality.

3. What are some practical applications of the Symplectic Group and the Orthogonal Group?

The Symplectic Group and the Orthogonal Group have many important applications in mathematics and physics. The Symplectic Group is used in symplectic geometry to study Hamiltonian mechanics, which is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the motion of particles in conservative systems. The Orthogonal Group, on the other hand, is used in Euclidean geometry to study rotations and reflections, and it has applications in computer graphics, robotics, and physics.

4. How can the Symplectic Group and the Orthogonal Group be represented mathematically?

The Symplectic Group can be represented as a group of 2n x 2n matrices with real entries that satisfy a set of specific properties. These matrices are called symplectic matrices and have the form [A B; C D], where A, B, C, and D are n x n blocks. The Orthogonal Group can be represented as a group of n x n matrices with real entries that satisfy the condition A^T A = I, where A^T is the transpose of A and I is the identity matrix. This condition ensures that the columns of A form an orthonormal basis, which preserves the length and angle of vectors.

5. How do the Symplectic Group and the Orthogonal Group relate to other mathematical structures?

The Symplectic Group and the Orthogonal Group are closely related to other mathematical structures, such as Lie groups and Lie algebras. In fact, both groups are examples of classical groups, which are a special type of Lie group. Additionally, the symplectic and orthogonal structures can be combined to form a group known as the symplectic-orthogonal group, which has important applications in physics and engineering.