Finding Roots of b - tan(b) = 0

• Thread starter rsaad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, there are various methods for finding the roots of b - tan(b) = 0, such as graphing the equations or using numerical approximation techniques like Newton's Method. Another option is to use asymptotic expansions for large values of x. For iterative methods, initial estimates can be calculated using the values of c_m and u.
rsaad
How would you find the roots of:
b - tan (b) = 0

please do not that i have to plot the graphs of y=b and y=tan b and then i should find the solution. I want to know how to do it the other way.
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
rsaad said:
How would you find the roots of:
b - tan (b) = 0

please do not that i have to plot the graphs of y=b and y=tan b and then i should find the solution. I want to know how to do it the other way.
Another way, besides a graphical solution, is to use a numerical approximation technique such as Newton's Method (also known as Newton-Raphson). If you want to find out more, you can do a web search, which should generate lots of hits.

There are an infinite number. You can use an iterative method like Newton's mathod. There are also some asymptotic expansions, the large values of x are approximately pi/2+n pi for some large n.

For some iteration initial estimates, consider the following:

Let
[tex]
c_m = \frac{2\,m + 1}{2} \, \pi
[/tex]

Then let the initial estimate [itex]b^{(0)}[/itex] be given by
[tex]
b^{(0)} = c_m - u
[/tex]

Three possible initial estimates, in increasing accuracy, can be given by the three separate values of u as follows

[tex]u_2 = \frac{1}{c_m}[/tex]
[tex]u_3 = \frac{1}{c_m} + \frac{1}{c_m^3}[/tex]
[tex]u_5 = \frac{1}{c_m} + \frac{2}{3}\, \frac{1}{c_m^3}[/tex]

1. What is the equation "b - tan(b) = 0" used for?

The equation "b - tan(b) = 0" is used to find the roots or solutions of the function f(b) = b - tan(b). These roots represent the values of b that make the equation true.

2. How can I solve the equation "b - tan(b) = 0"?

The equation "b - tan(b) = 0" can be solved by using algebraic methods, such as factoring or the quadratic formula. It can also be solved graphically by plotting the function and finding the x-intercepts, or numerically using a calculator or computer program.

3. Why is it important to find the roots of an equation?

Finding the roots of an equation helps to understand the behavior and characteristics of a function. It can also be used to solve real-life problems and make predictions about the behavior of a system.

4. What is the significance of the root(s) of "b - tan(b) = 0" in mathematics?

The root(s) of "b - tan(b) = 0" have various applications in mathematics, such as in geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. They also have connections to other mathematical concepts like the unit circle and the periodicity of the tangent function.

5. Can the equation "b - tan(b) = 0" have multiple roots?

Yes, the equation "b - tan(b) = 0" can have multiple roots. In this case, the function f(b) = b - tan(b) has an infinite number of roots, as the tangent function is periodic and its graph repeats itself infinitely. However, when solving for specific values of b, there may be a finite number of roots.