Are gravitational waves relativistic or Newtonian phenomenon?

In summary, the scientific community, including /r/physics, is abuzz with the recent discovery of gravitational waves by BICEP2, which confirms the general relativity theory. However, there is a debate on whether this can also be explained by Newton's mechanics. The difference lies in the instantaneous nature of gravity in Newtonian mechanics, while gravitational waves represent energy lost in orbiting bodies, which is not accounted for in Newtonian mechanics. Additionally, there is no analogy for gravitational waves in Newtonian mechanics, as it is a purely relativistic result. The discovery of gravitational waves does not necessarily prove inflation, as it is not claimed by the primary source and may be added by bloggers.
pero2912
Today, all of the scientific world (including /r/physics) buzzes about BICEP2's discovery of gravitational waves dating from Big Bang as an undispute confirmation of the general relativity. Now I wonder is it really GR? Can't it be explained by simple Newton's mechanics?
I mean if you can explain electromagnetic waves as as a consequence of accelerating charge then sure you can expalain gravitational waves as a consequence of the accelerating mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
pero2912 said:
I mean if you can explain electromagnetic waves as as a consequence of accelerating charge then sure you can expalain gravitational waves as a consequence of the accelerating mass.
Surely not. Gravitation is instantaneous in Newtonian mechanics. There is nothing in the Newtonian description of gravity that allows for gravitational waves.

Another way to look at it: Gravitational waves represent energy lost to the universe by orbiting bodies. This doesn't happen in Newtonian mechanics, where gravitationally orbiting bodies conserve energy and angular momentum.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Is there any intuitive analogy to the EM fields in gravity? I mean, in EM you have two fields, magnetic and electric where one's change produces other's. Is it something similar in GE?

I believe I shouldn't be asking a question under another question but... since the discovery of g waves was brought up...I didn't see the point in opening another thread. My question is this: Why is the discovery of gravitational waves being considered irrefutable proof for the theory of inflation? Are other theory's that include g waves now considered validated? (fecetious) tia

pero2912 said:

EM is a relativistic theory, not a Newtonian theory. The field theory needs to predict wave equations for the fields to satisfy (e.g. in vacuum) in order for wave-like solutions to exist for the theory. EM does this but Newtonian gravity does not.

I don't think the primary source claims anything about proving inflation, so anything to that extent is probably added by bloggers.

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time, caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. What is the difference between relativistic and Newtonian phenomenon?

Relativistic phenomenon refers to events that occur at speeds close to the speed of light, where the laws of Newtonian physics are no longer applicable. Newtonian phenomenon, on the other hand, refers to events that occur at slower speeds, where the laws of classical mechanics can accurately describe the behavior of objects.

3. Are gravitational waves considered relativistic or Newtonian phenomenon?

Gravitational waves are considered relativistic phenomenon because they occur at incredibly high speeds, close to the speed of light. This means that the laws of Newtonian physics are insufficient to fully explain their behavior.

4. How do gravitational waves relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy. Gravitational waves are a direct consequence of this theory, as they are ripples in the curvature of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects.

5. Can gravitational waves be observed and measured?

Yes, gravitational waves have been observed and measured by various scientific instruments such as the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) and the Virgo interferometer. These measurements have provided strong evidence for the existence of gravitational waves and have allowed scientists to study their properties and behavior.