Derivative wrt Complex Conjugate

In summary: Loewald: In summary, the derivative with respect to a complex conjugate can be found using the chain rule and the Cauchy-Riemann equations, and it is equal to zero.
SwordSmith
I am not sure what the derivative with respect to a complex conjugate is and I have not been able to find it in any books.

I assume I should use the chain rule somehow to figure this out:
[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial z^*}, \quad z=x+iy [/tex]

Maybe you can do like this?
[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial z^*}=\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial z^*}+\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial z^*} [/tex]
[tex] \quad \quad = 1\cdot\frac{\partial x}{\partial (x-iy)} + i\cdot\frac{\partial y}{\partial (x-iy)} [/tex]
[tex] \quad \quad = 1 + i\cdot\frac{-1}{i} =0[/tex]

I am not sure the above procedure is correct. Can someone in here confirm the result or, if not, help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
SwordSmith said:
I am not sure what the derivative with respect to a complex conjugate is and I have not been able to find it in any books.

I assume I should use the chain rule somehow to figure this out:
[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial z^*}, \quad z=x+iy [/tex]

Maybe you can do like this?
[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial z^*}=\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial z^*}+\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial z^*} [/tex]
[tex] \quad \quad = 1\cdot\frac{\partial x}{\partial (x-iy)} + i\cdot\frac{\partial y}{\partial (x-iy)} [/tex]
[tex] \quad \quad = 1 + i\cdot\frac{-1}{i} =0[/tex]

I am not sure the above procedure is correct. Can someone in here confirm the result or, if not, help me?

Put [itex]z=x+iy , \overline{z}=x-iy[/itex] , and applying the chain rule:

[itex]\frac {\partial f}{\partial x}=\frac {\partial f}{\partial \overline{z}}\frac {\partial \overline{z}}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial\overline{z}}[/itex]

[itex]\frac {\partial f}{\partial y}=\frac {\partial f}{\partial \overline{z}}\frac {\partial \overline{z}}{\partial y}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial\overline{z}}(-i)[/itex]

Sum both extreme equalities and get the important and known equation

[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial\overline{z}}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac {\partial f}{\partial x}+i\frac {\partial f}{\partial y}\right)[/itex] , which equals zero iff the function fulfills the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

Tonio

1. What is the definition of a derivative with respect to complex conjugate?

The derivative with respect to complex conjugate is the rate of change of a function with respect to the complex conjugate of a variable. It is calculated by taking the partial derivative with respect to the real part and subtracting the partial derivative with respect to the imaginary part multiplied by i.

2. How is the derivative with respect to complex conjugate useful in mathematics?

The derivative with respect to complex conjugate is useful in analyzing and solving problems in complex analysis, particularly in the study of holomorphic and analytic functions. It is also used in fields such as physics and engineering.

3. What is the relationship between the derivative with respect to complex conjugate and the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of conditions that must be satisfied for a complex function to be holomorphic. The derivative with respect to complex conjugate can be used to prove the validity of these equations, and conversely, the Cauchy-Riemann equations can be used to calculate the derivative with respect to complex conjugate.

4. Can the derivative with respect to complex conjugate be extended to functions of multiple variables?

Yes, the derivative with respect to complex conjugate can be extended to functions of multiple complex variables. The process for calculating the derivative is similar to the single variable case, but with the addition of partial derivatives with respect to each complex variable.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the derivative with respect to complex conjugate?

Yes, the derivative with respect to complex conjugate has various applications in real-world problems, such as in the analysis of electromagnetic fields and signal processing. It is also used in image processing and computer graphics for tasks such as edge detection and image enhancement.