What updates can we expect for the new PF website style?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: but I think it makes them look more like an advertisement or something.Yeah I dabbled with lowering the opacity of signatures to lessen the visual pressure they have on post... but I think it makes them look more like an advertisement or something.I think it looks great the way it is. I don't mind the signature at all.I think it looks great the way it is.
Now that PF is 12 years old (52 in web years) I think it's time for a little snip here and a little snip there. We've been working on a new style for the past couple months and we should be ready to present it sometime next week. We still used a palette of blues, greens and grays so there won't be a complete "where am I shock". It is though brighter, crisper and more fresh than the current style while keeping a professional feel! It should be a bit faster too as we've replaced a few images with CSS. I think the majority will enjoy it and the rest will learn to love it eventually :D

In the meantime, please update your browsers if you haven't in awhile. The new style uses CSS3 in a few spots and older browsers such as IE 7/8 won't handle it so well. Most versions of FF/Safari/Chrome will render it perfect, but it's always a good idea to check if there is an upgrade. For IE I know 10 just came out and it has much more support for CSS3 than IE9, so that is a highly recommended upgrade!

App users: once the style is released I will also update the style and graphics of the apps. They should be ready for update a week or two after the style is released. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good to see improvements coming. I use Chrome and keep it up-to-date and am looking forward to the tweaks.

I can't wait to see the result!

Go easy on the Botox!

Zz.

Keep your sunglasses handy!

52 in web years? Since on the internet nobody knows your a dog, is this really 364 web years?

Greg Bernhardt said:
...The new style uses CSS3 in a few spots and older browsers such as IE 7/8 won't handle it so well...

Poor Evo.

jhae2.718 said:
Poor Evo.
It actually works quite well with IE7. :frown:

Are you eliminating the [STRIKE]bannedmember[/STRIKE] strike out?

dlgoff said:
Are you eliminating the [STRIKE]bannedmember[/STRIKE] strike out?

Yes, banned members will be unbolded with italics.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yes, banned members will be unbolded with italics.
I think they should have an avatar of a fork. (stick a fork in it - done) :tongue2:

Evo said:
I think they should have an avatar of a fork. (stick a fork in it - done) :tongue2:

lol that would be hilarous!

Is this part of the makeover?
attachment.php?attachmentid=57006&stc=1&d=1364039903.png

I would prefer the one we had earlier.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 03232013 - 05:27:23 PM.png
    Screenshot - 03232013 - 05:27:23 PM.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,778
mishrashubham said:
attachment.php?attachmentid=57006&stc=1&d=1364039903.png

I prefer this one better.. It also seems faster.

mishrashubham said:

The makeover has not been rolled out yet. Wait until that happens in its entirety, then you can judge on which you prefer.

mishrashubham said:

In fact it is, .0001% of it :) Unfortunately there is a particular css file that is hard coded and it affects all styles.

Good progress has been made and so the new style will be released on Monday.

Greg Bernhardt said:
In fact it is, .0001% of it :) Unfortunately there is a particular css file that is hard coded and it affects all styles.

Good progress has been made and so the new style will be released on Monday.

Can we have a sneak peek or something? Perhaps a screenshot?

x2791258 said:
Can we have a sneak peek or something? Perhaps a screenshot?

No, I'd rather keep my weekend "complaint" free. :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
No, I'd rather keep my weekend "complaint" free. :smile:
Poor Greg, you have been working non-stop on changes for over a week. You've done a good job.

Everything looks cleaner, crisper, more inviting. Posts seem easier to read, quotes stand out more. Overall it looks a lot better. Great Job guys!

Not bad. I kinda like it. Just takes sometime to get used to it.

When I first clicked on my PF book mark, there was a moment of "wtf?". It had the same layout for as long as I can remember, so you can understand the initial shock!

Nice job! It always takes a while to get used to new things, but I feel that I like the new layout.

I really like it Greg! It is all brave new world esque xD. Just one question, is the signature supposed to be "grayed" out relative to the actual text? Maxwell's equations look depressed ;)

WannabeNewton said:
I really like it Greg! It is all brave new world esque xD. Just one question, is the signature supposed to be "grayed" out relative to the actual text? Maxwell's equations look depressed ;)

Yeah I dabbled with lowering the opacity of signatures to lessen the visual pressure they have on post content.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yeah I dabbled with lowering the opacity of signatures to lessen the visual pressure they have on post content.
I'll pretend I understood what any of that meant :wink: Cheers!

ZOMG!

Awesome work Greg!111!

Personally I hate this, I think the old look was really distinct and made PF unique. There's a million internet forums out there that look nearly identicle to this one now.

Greg Bernhardt said:

WannabeNewton said:
I'll pretend I understood what any of that meant :wink: Cheers!

:rofl:

Apologies if this has been addressed already, but when I click "My Posts" I see none of mine and all of your posts, Greg. Not sure if this is a bug unique to me or...

I do enjoy your writing though. :P (And the site does look really nice now)

middleCmusic said:
Apologies if this has been addressed already, but when I click "My Posts" I see none of mine and all of your posts, Greg. Not sure if this is a bug unique to me or...

The same happens here.