Experimentobtaining sound from molecules

In summary: E=hv tells us the energy of a photon is equal to the frequency of the EM wave (v) times Plancks constant (h). Sound, on the other hand, is a type of movement of particles.So, if you want to create sound, you would need to create an EM wave and then move the particles that make up the sound.
Treacle
Was just wondering whether or not it was at all possible to create "sound" from molecule interactions, and if so how would I go about it?
I was going on the theory that if E=hv then a frequency is obtained when this equation is applied and as sound is theoretically a frequency (movement of particles) .. would it not be possible to slow down and increase 'v' in order to get an audible frequency as 'sound' ?

Is this at all possible-just thinking out loud and wondering :smile:

If it was..then how would I go about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite what you asked for but...

Any electronic component that's not at absolute zero generates thermal noise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson–Nyquist_noise

http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Thermal-Noise-Calculator.phtml

It wouldn't be very interesting to listen to, essentially white noise.

You could build a thermal noise generator that simply amplifies the noise produced by a resistor. High gain is required so several stages of amplification might be necessary instead of trying to do it with a single stage (max gain of an op-amp is limited by it's non-ideal properties - such as DC offset). You would be able to hear those components in the audio range, but obviously not those outside it.

Last edited:
E=hv tells us that the energy of a photon is equal to the frequency of the EM wave (v) times Plancks constant (h). It is not related to the frequency of a sound wave.

I understand that the equation gives the frequency of an EM wave but was thinking about mapping that onto a sound frequency ? Do you think that may work?

Treacle said:
I understand that the equation gives the frequency of an EM wave but was thinking about mapping that onto a sound frequency ? Do you think that may work?

I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for. What does E=hv and molecules have to do with this? Keep in mind we already use EM waves to transfer sound through radio, although the technique is a little different than what you seem to be proposing.

A lot of the optical and acoustic wave formulas work the same, except that
in the acoustic world "c" becomes the speed of sound in the medium in question.
Beyond that there in not much overlap. Some of the real long wavelength IR
may produce some secondary sound (popping of a microwave heated object),
but I don't think that is what you are asking.
The two frequency scales may overlap, but are different affects.

1. What is "Experiment obtaining sound from molecules"?

"Experiment obtaining sound from molecules" is a scientific process that involves using specialized equipment and techniques to produce audible sound waves from individual molecules. This allows scientists to study the molecular structure and properties of various substances.

2. How is sound obtained from molecules in this experiment?

Sound is obtained from molecules in this experiment through a process called sonication, which uses high-frequency sound waves to agitate the molecules and produce audible sound waves. This requires precise control of the frequency and intensity of the sound waves to produce consistent results.

3. What is the purpose of conducting this experiment?

The purpose of conducting this experiment is to better understand the behavior and properties of individual molecules. By being able to produce sound from molecules, scientists can study how they interact with each other and their environment, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science.

4. Are there any potential applications for this research?

Yes, there are several potential applications for this research. For example, it could lead to the development of new technologies for non-invasive medical imaging, as well as advancements in acoustic and ultrasonic technologies for various industries such as materials testing and environmental monitoring.

5. What are some challenges in conducting this experiment?

One of the main challenges in conducting this experiment is the precision and control required to produce consistent results. The equipment and techniques used must be highly sensitive and precise to produce audible sound waves from individual molecules. Additionally, the molecules being studied must be in a controlled environment to avoid interference from external factors.