Making a Math computer program

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a math program and suggests including formulas such as cross-multiply, average, and taxes. The conversation also mentions adding more complex functions such as deriving and integrating polynomials, solving equations, and finding prime divisors and sums of divisors. The speaker emphasizes the benefits of writing algorithms rather than using pre-defined functions for a better understanding of mathematics. They also share their personal experience with creating a program that has helped them excel in their number theory course.
Raza
Hi,
I just some ideas for what should I put in my math program. All I need is some forumlas.So far I got the cross-multiply,average and the taxes.
program.jpg

I'll remove the fat ronald afterwards. When I am going to be done, I can post it my program for download.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Quadratic formula

Some hard ones:
Derive (polynomials only would be easy)
Integrate (polynomials only would be easy)
Solve simple equation (5x + 3 = 2, solve for x!)

Although there are professional programs that do this I would very much suggest you try and think of as much stuff you can do and add it in. It very much gives you a better understanding of that area of mathematics (try and write most of your algorithms rather than using pre-defined functions).

A good one that I wrote a couple of years back was a program which when you inputted a number it gave you it's prime divisors, e.g if I inputted 12 it would give you:

2^2 x 3

I expanded the program to give the sum of divisors, e.g if you inputted 6 it would be the same as:

1+2+3 = 6

And thus also told you if it was a perfect number of a near perfect number (only 1 number away). I carried on looking for more things, like telling you if it was a Fermat prime number etc.. etc.. I think the program could finally deal with any number 10^8 or less and still be quite quick (it was written in VB). Not only did it give me a better understanding the maths but it has allowed me to breeze through my number theory course.

1. What is the purpose of making a Math computer program?

The purpose of making a Math computer program is to help individuals solve mathematical problems quickly and accurately. It can also be used to teach and reinforce mathematical concepts, as well as analyze and visualize large sets of data.

2. What programming language is best for making a Math computer program?

There is no specific programming language that is considered the best for making a Math computer program. It ultimately depends on the specific needs and goals of the program. Some commonly used languages for Math programs include Python, Java, and C++.

3. How do you ensure the accuracy of a Math computer program?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to thoroughly test the program with various inputs and verify the results. It is also crucial to use proper algorithms and formulas, and to regularly check for and fix any potential errors in the code.

4. Can a Math computer program be used for all types of Math problems?

A Math computer program can be designed to solve a wide range of Math problems, but it may not be able to handle every single type of problem. Some programs may be more specialized and have limitations in terms of the types of problems they can solve.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in Math to make a Math computer program?

Having a strong background in Math is helpful in understanding and creating a Math computer program, but it is not always necessary. Many programming languages have libraries and functions that can help with complex mathematical calculations, and there are also resources and tutorials available online for those who may not have a strong Math background.