What should I ask for salary wise?

• Thread starter thakid87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salary
In summary, a young individual is seeking advice on a promotion offer in management at their job. They are currently working full-time and pursuing a degree in Electrical Engineering. They are excited about this opportunity and are wondering about the potential raise and salary they should ask for. They express their interest in advancing within the company and their degree being applicable to the core business strategies. They mention their lack of experience in the corporate world and are seeking insight from others.
thakid87
Hello all.

I'm a young kid just starting out in the corporate world. I've been busting my *** for my family and I have to say that I've been doing a good job. I work full time and I'm working on a BS in Electrical Engineering.

An amazing opportunity has come up at work and I will definitely take advantage of it. Basically, this is a promotion into management of a couple of people and a department that sells in the millions yearly.

What kind of raise should I expect? What should I ask for salary wise?

Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you truly want to work in management? Or are you just in it for the money?

I'm into advancing within the company. My degree is applicable to the core business strategies and once I get it, that will boost my worth even more.

This is a great move for me. The job is mine. I am just inexperienced in the corporate world and I am trying to make sure I don't settle for less than I should. I wish I had someone I can speak to, but I don't. Hence, I come to the net to see if I can get some insight...

FAQ: What should I ask for salary wise?

1. What factors should I consider when determining my salary?

When determining your salary, it is important to consider your level of education, years of experience, the cost of living in the area, and the industry standards for the position you are applying for.

2. How do I negotiate for a higher salary?

To negotiate for a higher salary, you should research the average salary for similar positions in your area and come prepared with this information. You should also highlight your skills and experience that make you a valuable asset to the company. Be confident and professional in your approach and be willing to compromise.

3. Is it appropriate to ask for a specific salary?

It is generally not recommended to ask for a specific salary during the interview process. Instead, focus on discussing your qualifications and what you can bring to the company. You can negotiate your salary once you have received an offer.

4. When is the best time to discuss salary?

The best time to discuss salary is after you have received a job offer. This shows that the company is interested in hiring you and gives you more leverage in negotiating. However, if the interviewer brings up salary expectations during the interview, be prepared to discuss a salary range based on your research.

5. How do I know if the salary offered is fair?

You can determine if the salary offered is fair by researching the average salary for similar positions in your area. You should also consider the cost of living and your qualifications. If the salary is significantly lower than industry standards, you can negotiate for a higher salary or consider other job offers.