How do you calculate the Magnetic Moment of a Permanent Magnet?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding the magnetic moment of AlNiCo magnets and how to convert magnetic field or moment data into the desired unit. It is suggested to divide by the magnetic permeability and consider the volume of the magnet as a factor for approximation.
drinksta
Hey!

I am trying to find a permanent AlNiCo magnet with a magnetic moment of 0.06Am^2.

However, most magnet data sheets do not list the magnetic moment of their magnet. Often they list the Magnetic field in Tesla or the moment in Vs*cm. How can I convert this data into the magnetic moment in Am^2.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
V*s*m/(A*m^2) has the unit of magnetic permeability, so I think that you have to divide by this value ([itex]\mu_0[/itex] or [itex]\mu_0\mu_r[/itex], I would expect the former). cm<->m is just a factor of 100.

T/(V*s*m) is an inverse volume - maybe you can get some approximation of you multiply the value with the volume of the magnet (up to constant factors?)

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic moment of a permanent magnet?

The formula for calculating the magnetic moment of a permanent magnet is m = μ0 * Hc * V, where m is the magnetic moment, μ0 is the permeability of free space, Hc is the coercive force of the magnet, and V is the volume of the magnet.

2. How do you determine the coercive force of a magnet?

The coercive force of a magnet can be determined by measuring the amount of magnetic field required to demagnetize the magnet. This can be done using a magnetometer or a hysteresis graph.

3. Can the magnetic moment of a permanent magnet change over time?

Yes, the magnetic moment of a permanent magnet can change over time due to factors such as temperature changes, exposure to strong magnetic fields, and physical damage to the magnet.

4. What units are used to measure the magnetic moment of a permanent magnet?

The magnetic moment of a permanent magnet is typically measured in units of ampere-meter squared (A·m2) or joules per tesla (J/T).

5. How does the shape of a magnet affect its magnetic moment?

The shape of a magnet can affect its magnetic moment depending on factors such as the orientation of the magnetic domains within the magnet and the distribution of magnetic materials within the magnet. Generally, a longer and thinner magnet will have a higher magnetic moment compared to a shorter and wider magnet.