Laboratory technician drops a 0.0850kg sample of unknown solid

In summary, a 0.0850kg sample of unknown solid material at 100.0 degrees celcius is dropped into a calorimeter made of 0.150kg of copper and 0.200kg of water at 19.0 degrees celcius. The final temperature is 26.1 degrees celcius. Using the heat balance equation, the specific heat of the sample is calculated to be 0.474 J/g.c.
Larrytsai
A laboratory technician drops a 0.0850kg sample of unknown solid material, at a temperature of 100.0 degree celcius, into a calorimeter. The calorimeter can, initially at 19.0 degrees celcius, is made of 0.150kg of copper and contains 0.200kg of water. The final temperature of the calorimeter can and contents is 26.1 degrees celcius. Compute the specific heat of the sample.

The only thing i have so far is

Qsys= -Qsurr
but I am stumped with the 2 specific heat variables

Physics news on Phys.org

Not sys and surr, I would rather go for gain=lost.

I suppose you should check both specific heats of copper and water in tables.

--

Being calories and degrees C he ought to know that for water roughly.

Borek said:
Not sys and surr, I would rather go for gain=lost.

I suppose you should check both specific heats of copper and water in tables.

--
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - buffer calculator, stoichiometry calculator
www.ph-meter.info - ph meter, ph electrode

i'll be so grateful if you can help me for this problem:
a 30.14-g stainless steel ball bearing at 117.82 c is placed in a constant-pressure calorimeter containing 120.0 mL of water at 18.44 C.if the specific heat of the ball bearing is 0.474 J/g.c, calculate the final temperature of the water.assume the calorimeter to have negligible capaity.

It is again simple heat gain (by water) equals heat lost (by ball). Assume final temperature to be Tfinal and write equation for a heat balance. You will get equation with one unknown. That's all.

--
methods

Borek said:
It is again simple heat gain (by water) equals heat lost (by ball). Assume final temperature to be Tfinal and write equation for a heat balance. You will get equation with one unknown. That's all.

--
chemical calculators - buffer calculator, concentration calculator
www.titrations.info - all about titration methods

thank you so much,,i got the idea, but I'm still thinking about if q(water) equals q(ball), can we
prove that (Delta Temp) for water equals (Delata Temp) for the ball!

No, but both changes in temperature are directly proportional to the amount of heat transferred.

1. What is the mass of the solid sample?

The mass of the solid sample is 0.0850kg.

2. How much did the sample weight before it was dropped?

The weight of the sample before it was dropped is unknown.

3. What is the density of the unknown solid?

The density of the unknown solid cannot be determined from the given information. Density is calculated by dividing mass by volume, and we do not have the volume of the sample.

4. What could be the potential effects of dropping the sample?

The potential effects of dropping the sample could include breakage, changes in structure or composition, and altered physical or chemical properties.

5. Can the sample still be used for testing after being dropped?

It depends on the type of testing being conducted and the potential effects of dropping the sample. It may still be usable, but the results may be affected by the drop.