Proof That "Moderation" Is Meaningless: All Comments Welcome

• Thread starter rasman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the phrase "in moderation" is often used but is ultimately meaningless. The proof by Erik Rasmussen shows that moderation is subjective and can vary greatly from person to person. Therefore, it is not a reliable or useful concept.
rasman
Hello. I'd be curious to know what you all think about my proof that the phrase "in moderation" is so often meaningless.

How many times have you heard someone say, “Moderation in all things“, “Take everything in moderation”, or “X is fine, but in moderation”? Replace X with anything you like: food, alcohol, exercise, sleep, etc. I will now prove to you why this statement is completely meaningless.

The rest of the proof is http://www.erik-rasmussen.com/blog/2006/08/23/moderation-proof/".

All comments welcome. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like you need to learn moderation in application of proofs. :approve:

To be truly moderate in all things you cannot be excessively moderate.

Seek not the golden mean, but rather the golden extreme. After all, by similar means you can prove that you can't get too much of a good thing.

Last edited:
rasman said:
Hello. I'd be curious to know what you all think about my proof that the phrase "in moderation" is so often meaningless.

The rest of the proof is http://www.erik-rasmussen.com/blog/2006/08/23/moderation-proof/".

All comments welcome. Cheers!
Nice proof. I do hate it when my exam grades turn out terribly high! :biggrin:

The thing, in my opinion, that makes that statement not a tautology is the decision of which things lie in the set of "so often" things, and which do not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
The thing, in my opinion, that makes that statement not a tautology is the decision of which things lie in the set of "so often" things, and which do not.
What I meant by "so often" was "almost always if not always". "Do everything in moderation" is just a phrase that means "don't stuff too much or too little", which is an idiotic thing to say, especially when the "too much" and "too little" thresholds are completely arbitrary.

1. What is the main argument of "Proof That "Moderation" Is Meaningless: All Comments Welcome"?

The main argument is that the concept of moderation in online comment moderation is meaningless and ultimately ineffective in promoting productive and respectful discourse.

2. How does the author support their argument?

The author provides evidence and examples of how moderation policies and practices are often inconsistent and arbitrary, and how they can actually stifle meaningful discussions instead of promoting them.

3. What are some potential consequences of relying on moderation as a solution for online discourse?

Some potential consequences include censorship, suppression of diverse perspectives, and the perpetuation of power imbalances and biases.

4. Is the author arguing against all forms of moderation?

No, the author is not arguing against all forms of moderation. They are specifically critiquing the idea of moderation as a catch-all solution for online discourse and advocating for more nuanced and effective approaches.

5. What alternative solutions does the author suggest?

The author suggests implementing community-based moderation where users have a say in their own online communities, promoting critical thinking and media literacy, and fostering open and respectful dialogue through education and communication strategies.