How Much Energy Can Pedaling Generate for Rechargeable Batteries?

• Thread starter robizeratul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary, the speaker is seeking help to build a radio that operates without batteries. They have seen a similar radio powered by a hand-crank and are wondering about the science behind it. They are seeking information on the amount of spinning needed to produce enough current for the battery, the watts or kilowatts produced per hour, and whether pedaling faster can recharge the battery faster. They have 12V rechargeable batteries and are looking for tips and insight on how to make this project work. The key component needed is an electric generator, and the power rating of the generator will depend on the storage capacity of the chosen batteries.
robizeratul
Hello! this is my first post here,hope it's the good part of the forum.

I have some questions and i would appreciate it very much if someone more knowledgeable than me could help me out.

A while ago I saw a radio that was used without batteries,you had a wheel and you just had to spin it like a bicycle pedal,over and over,until it got enough energy to work.I got an idea to build something similar but I don't know the science behind it.(there are still a lot of things i need to figure out,but i love a challenge)

Could someone give me some numbers,how much should i have to spin to produce enough current for the battery? How many watts or kilowatts would that produce an hour?Could i pedal very hard to recharge it faster or do i need a constant speed?I have standard 12volt rechargeable batteries and an accumulator(i think it's called than in English,I am not sure).

If someone could give me some numbers on how this could work or other tips/insight I would be very grateful,thanks for reading and have a nice day!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi robizeratul,

Welcome to Physics Forum.

The most important device of your project is an electric generator. A generator or a dynamo that generates around 12V at moderate speeds. The generator charges the batteries. The power rating of the generator depends on the storage capacity of the battery set ( in AHr ( Amper-Hours )). You choose the proper batteries for your radio.

First tell us about the radio power and the battery AHr, then we will tell you some numbers.

1. How do rechargeable batteries help the environment?

Rechargeable batteries help the environment by reducing the amount of waste produced. Regular batteries are disposed of after use, contributing to pollution and landfill waste. Rechargeable batteries can be used multiple times, reducing the need for constant replacement and disposal.

2. Are rechargeable batteries cost-effective?

Yes, rechargeable batteries can be more cost-effective in the long run. While they may have a higher upfront cost, they can be recharged and reused multiple times, saving money in the long term compared to constantly purchasing single-use batteries.

3. Can any device use rechargeable batteries?

Not all devices are compatible with rechargeable batteries. Some devices may require a specific type or size of battery, so it is important to check the device's specifications before using rechargeable batteries.

4. How do I properly dispose of rechargeable batteries?

Rechargeable batteries should be recycled at designated recycling centers. They should not be thrown away in regular household waste as they can still contain harmful chemicals. Many electronic stores and retailers offer battery recycling programs.

5. How long do rechargeable batteries last?

The lifespan of rechargeable batteries varies depending on usage and type. On average, they can be recharged and used between 500-1000 times before losing their capacity. However, proper care and maintenance can help extend their lifespan.