Why do we need natural transformations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dual vector spaces and natural transformations in category theory. The speaker is puzzled as to why V* and V are both defined when they have the same dimension and are isomorphic. They then mention that Mac Lane invented category theory to study natural transformations and ask for an explanation of their importance. The response suggests reading more about the topic and mentions the usefulness of natural isomorphisms in areas such as Riemannian geometry.
math.geek
Few days ago, I was thinking about why we need to define V*=Hom(V,K) for a K-vector space when the dimension of V is finite because then V* and V both will have the same dimension and will be isomorphic. So, I couldn't understand why such a thing would be even called a dual vector space if it's the same thing algebraically when the dimension is finite. Then I read that these two vector spaces are isomorphic but there's no natural isomorphism between them.

I'm familiar with some terminology in category theory. I know the definition of a natural transformation in category theory. But I don't understand why natural definitions are important. I remember somewhere I read that Mac Lane has said that he didn't invent category theory to study functors, he invented it to study natural transformations.

Can someone explain to me in layman terms why natural transformations are interesting and how I should think of them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it is also interesting to understand what happens , i.e., what are the overall advantages when you do have a natural, basis-independent choice, like when you have a non-degenerate bilinear form associated to your space, like, say, a Riemannian metric ( which gives you the natural "musical isomorphism" between tangent and cotangent spaces). I guess in the case of R^n, life becomes simpler in terms of differentiating ( trivial Euclidean connection) , but I can't think now of other areas where having a natural , canonical isomorphism helps, or at least what are other implications of having a natural isomorphism.

1. Why do we need natural transformations?

Natural transformations are essential in the field of mathematics and computer science, specifically in the study of category theory. They allow us to compare and relate different structures or categories and provide a way to transform one structure into another in a consistent and systematic manner.

2. What is the purpose of natural transformations?

The main purpose of natural transformations is to provide a way to compare and transform different mathematical structures in a way that is independent of their specific definitions. This allows us to see the underlying similarities and connections between seemingly different structures.

3. How do natural transformations differ from other types of transformations?

Natural transformations are different from other types of transformations in that they are defined between categories, which are abstract structures that contain objects and arrows between them. Traditional transformations, such as functions, are defined between specific sets or objects.

4. What are some real-world applications of natural transformations?

Natural transformations have various applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and economics. In computer science, they are used in programming language design and optimization. In physics, they are used to model and understand complex systems. In economics, they are used to study the relationships between different economic structures.

5. Are natural transformations always unique?

No, natural transformations are not always unique. In some cases, there may be multiple natural transformations between two categories. However, there are cases where a natural transformation is unique, such as when the categories involved are equivalent or isomorphic.