Siimple kinematics Homework help

In summary, the conversation discusses three questions related to forces and acceleration. The first question asks for the horizontal force needed to give a shopping cart an acceleration of 1.37m/s2 while being pushed up a 13 degree incline. The second question asks for the force of air resistance on a falling samara with a constant speed of 1.3m/s. The third question involves finding the applied force on a 23kg suitcase being pulled at an angle of 25 degrees above the horizontal, given a normal force of 150N. The conversation also includes a thank you for the assistance.
heytke
question 1

do not know how to begin with this one

a shopper pushes a 8.7kg shopping cart up a 13 degrees incline, Find the horzontal force, F, needed to give the cart and acceleration of 1.37m/s2.

question 2

A 1.35g samara falls toward the ground with a constant speed of 1.3m/s. What is the force of air resistance exerted on the samara?

question 3

A 23 kg suitcase is being pulled by a handle that is at an angle of 25 degrees abouve the horizontal. If the normal force is exerted on the suitcase is 150N, what is the force F applied to the handle?

If you could point me in the right direction i would be very thankful.

Kelly

Physics news on Phys.org
For your first question, I wonder in which direction the cart has to accelerate at 1.37m/s2. I will suppose it is in the direction in which it is moving, i.e. at 13 degrees from the horizontal.

In any case, you should approach the problem by figuring out what are the forces involved and what are their components in the direction in which you are interested.

In your case, you have two forces: gravitational force on the cart (pointing vertically downwards) and the horizontal force that's being applied onto the cart. However, you know that the total force in the direction of motion should produce an acceleration of 1.37m/s2 on the cart, so you can solve for the horizontal force.

Does this get you on the right track?

Thanks

That really helped, thanks a bunch

FAQ: Siimple kinematics Homework help

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the basic quantities used in kinematics?

The basic quantities used in kinematics are position, displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time.

3. How is kinematics different from dynamics?

Kinematics only focuses on the motion of objects, while dynamics takes into account the forces that cause the motion.

4. What are some common equations used in kinematics?

Some common equations used in kinematics are the equations of motion (such as v = u + at and s = ut + 1/2at^2) and the kinematic equations (such as v = u + at and s = ut + 1/2at^2).

5. How can I solve kinematics problems?

To solve kinematics problems, you must first identify the known and unknown quantities and select the appropriate equation(s) to use. Then, plug in the known values and solve for the unknown quantity. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula for the given situation.

Back