ANSYS APDL Inflated Balloon Volume

In summary, The conversation discusses the solution of a problem in ANSYS involving a hollow cylinder being pressurized from the inside, causing it to inflate. The cylinder is modeled using axisymmetric shell elements and the volume is calculated using the centroid and area of the rectangle enclosed by the lines of the cylinder. The speaker has created a solution using a low stiffness material, but is looking for a more accurate solution. They are asking for advice on how to find the deformed volume.
Rolor
I feel like this should be a fairly easy problem to solve in ANSYS but can't work it out. My actual problem is a bit more complex that what I've written below, but the solution method should be the same.

A hollow cylinder is pressurised from the inside, the cylinder inflates. What is the difference between the initial interior volume and the inflated volume?

The cylinder is modeled using axisymmetric shell elements (SHELL209) so is only made of three lines. Conceptually these are swept around the Y-axis to create the cylinder, however the initial model and the solved model are just displayed as lines as the shape is not swept prior to or during solving. All I need to know to calculate the volume is the centroid and area of the rectangle enclosed by these lines and the Y axis. How can I find these?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I have created a solution to this, but it is slightly inaccurate. I meshed the volume of interest and set the material of that volume as very low stiffness. Then I ran the model and used SSUM and *GET to output the volume of the deformed solid. ANSYS has a minimum limit on the stiffness of any material, so the dummy material does influence the trial results (although only by less than 1%). I would like a more accurate solution and will be trying to create one. If anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated.

Actually that does not work as ETABLE (which I was using to collect the volume information) reports the undeformed volume, not the final volume. Is there a command that reports the deformed volume?

1. How do I create an inflated balloon volume in ANSYS APDL?

To create an inflated balloon volume in ANSYS APDL, you can use the VSBALL command. This command allows you to specify the center coordinates, radius, and number of elements of the inflated balloon volume. You can also use the VSCALE command to adjust the size of the balloon volume after it has been created.

2. Can I change the shape of the inflated balloon volume in ANSYS APDL?

Yes, you can use the VDEF command to define the shape of the inflated balloon volume. This command allows you to specify the shape, size, and element distribution of the volume. You can also use the VSCALE command to scale the volume to your desired shape.

3. How do I apply pressure to the inflated balloon volume in ANSYS APDL?

You can use the D command to specify a pressure load on the inflated balloon volume. This command allows you to specify the direction, magnitude, and location of the pressure load. You can also use the SF command to apply a surface traction load on the volume.

4. What is the difference between a solid balloon and an inflated balloon volume in ANSYS APDL?

A solid balloon volume is created using the VSBALL command and is a single element that represents a solid sphere. An inflated balloon volume, on the other hand, is created using the VDEF command and can have multiple elements to represent a more complex shape. Additionally, an inflated balloon volume allows for more control over the shape and size of the volume.

5. How can I visualize the inflated balloon volume in ANSYS APDL?

You can use the ETABLE command to display the results of the inflated balloon volume, such as stress and strain, on the elements. You can also use the PLV command to plot the inflated balloon volume in the graphics window. Additionally, you can use the VDISP command to show the deformed shape of the volume under a load.