Can the Magnetic Reynolds Number be Proven with Simple Math?

In summary: I can't help you with the math, sorry.I don't know what is this about, specifically. However there is no "r" in the left side and no B in the right hand side. You should have some additional relationship between them. Otherwise how can you get an "r" from an expression that does not contain it?
kd001
Is there a simple mathematical way of proving the left hand side equals the right hand side (see attached image)?

Any help will be much appreciated as I'm desperately trying to work out exactly where the magnetic Reynolds number comes from. I can derive the left hand side (its simply the ratio of advection term to the diffusion term which themselves can be derived using Maxwell's equations) but I am stuck at this final step as I'm not very good at vector calculus.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Magnetic Reynolds Number.jpg
    Magnetic Reynolds Number.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 535
Physics news on Phys.org
More than 400 views and no one has an idea?

In case my initial post wasn't very clear, I'm just looking for a way of proving that the ratio of the vector quantities on the left hand side of the equation is equal to the term on the right hand side. The expression is definitely correct. I just want to understand why.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know what is this about, specifically. However there is no "r" in the left side and no B in the right hand side. You should have some additional relationship between them. Otherwise how can you get an "r" from an expression that does not contain it?

nasu said:
I don't know what is this about, specifically. However there is no "r" in the left side and no B in the right hand side. You should have some additional relationship between them. Otherwise how can you get an "r" from an expression that does not contain it?

That's exactly the problem that I'm having. As I said the relationship is definitely true:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/MagneticReynoldsNumber.html

However, I haven't come across any books or other sources that explain why this is the case and what the 'additional relationship' might be. All the books that I've read simply quote the relationship without actually explaining it. But surely there must be a reason and I do not believe it is simply empirical.

Here's another link with some information but it doesn't explain it either:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...netic reynolds number vector notation&f=false

The book link does not work for me but a little Google research did clarify the things.
The magnetic Reynolds number is defined as the ratio of the two terms (on the left side). Their sum is equal to the derivative of B in respect to time.
The value of the Reynolds number shows the relative contribution of the terms.
So here is nothing to prove here.
Inspection of the units shows that the ratio is of the order of (v r)/lambda where "r" is some characteristic radius (or length) of the system. As in the classic Reynolds number.
If you replace the "=" with "of the order of" you have a better representation.
Again, nothing to prove in general.
For a specific system, you can pick some specific dimension as r. The variation of the field or maybe v will depend on this r but the way they do is system dependent.

Related to Can the Magnetic Reynolds Number be Proven with Simple Math?

What is the Magnetic Reynolds Number?

The Magnetic Reynolds Number (Rm) is a dimensionless quantity that describes the relative strength of magnetic forces to viscous forces in a fluid flow. It is commonly used in magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) to determine the behavior of electrically conductive fluids, such as plasma, in the presence of a magnetic field.

How is the Magnetic Reynolds Number calculated?

The Magnetic Reynolds Number is calculated by taking the product of the characteristic length (L), fluid velocity (V), and electrical conductivity (σ), and dividing it by the fluid viscosity (μ). This can be expressed as Rm = LVσ/μ.

What does a high Magnetic Reynolds Number indicate?

A high Magnetic Reynolds Number (Rm) indicates that the magnetic forces are dominant over viscous forces and the fluid flow will be highly influenced by the magnetic field. This is commonly seen in MHD systems where plasma is present, such as in fusion reactors or the Earth's magnetosphere.

What is the significance of the Magnetic Reynolds Number in astrophysics?

In astrophysics, the Magnetic Reynolds Number is used to study the behavior of electrically conductive fluids in the presence of strong magnetic fields, such as in the interiors of stars or in the accretion disks around black holes. It helps to determine the level of turbulence and mixing in these systems and understand their evolution.

How does the Magnetic Reynolds Number affect the stability of fluid flows?

The stability of fluid flows is greatly affected by the Magnetic Reynolds Number. A low Rm indicates that viscous forces are dominant, resulting in laminar flow. However, as Rm increases, the flow becomes more turbulent and unstable, which can have significant impacts on the efficiency and behavior of various fluid systems.