(ε, δ)-definition of limit

• Thread starter wonnabewith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the question is asking how to use the (ε, δ)-definition of limit to show that lim x->a x^5=a^5, where a is a symbolic constant. The goal is to prove that this is true by showing that for any ε>0, there exists a δ>0 such that |x^5-a^5|<ε whenever |x-a|<δ. The confusion arises when trying to solve the problem using letters instead of actual numbers. However, the basic idea needed is to factor x^5-a^5 into (x-a)(x^4+ax^3+a^2x^2+a^3x+a^4).
wonnabewith
I have a question about the (ε, δ)-definition of limit
lim x->a x^5=a^5
I know that |x^5-a^5|<ε
and |x-a|<δ
I was confused when using letters instead of actual number to solve this problem
the goal of this problem is to show that lim x->a x^5=a^5 is true

I will be glad to get some help...
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If there was not a symbolic constant like a, but a number such as a = 2, would you be able to solve the exercise?

the original question is :"use the ε, δ-definition of limit to show that lim x->a x^5=a^5
there is no actual number in it, that's why I'm stuck when I was solving the problem

For all ε>0, there exists δ=ε/M (M=max|x^4+ax^3+...+a^4|) such that
|x^5-a^5|=|x-a||x^4+ax^3+...+a^4|<δM=ε whenever |x-a|<δ

CompuChip said:
If there was not a symbolic constant like a, but a number such as a = 2, would you be able to solve the exercise?

wonnabewith said:
the original question is :"use the ε, δ-definition of limit to show that lim x->a x^5=a^5
there is no actual number in it, that's why I'm stuck when I was solving the problem
If you post a problem and one of the most helpful members of this forum asks a question about it, it is a good idea to answer that question!

You said earlier "I was confused when using letters instead of actual number" so compuchip wanted to see how you would do it if it had been "2" instead of "a". Then he could guide you to the "general" idea.

Where it is "a" or "2", the basic idea needed here is that [itex]x^5- a^5= (x- a)(x^4+ ax^3+ a^2x^2+ a^3x+ a^4)[/itex]

1. What does the (ε, δ)-definition of limit mean?

The (ε, δ)-definition of limit is a mathematical concept used to formally define the idea of a limit in calculus. It states that a limit exists if, for any arbitrarily small positive number ε, there exists a corresponding positive number δ such that all values of the function within δ of the limit point will have a difference of less than ε from the limit point.

2. How is the (ε, δ)-definition of limit used in calculus?

The (ε, δ)-definition of limit is used in calculus to rigorously prove the existence of a limit for a function. It allows for precise calculations and analysis of limits, which are essential in many areas of mathematics and science.

3. What is the significance of the (ε, δ)-definition of limit?

The (ε, δ)-definition of limit is significant because it provides a rigorous and mathematical way to define the concept of a limit. It allows for the precise evaluation of limits, which is essential in many applications of calculus, such as optimization and differential equations.

4. Can the (ε, δ)-definition of limit be applied to all functions?

Yes, the (ε, δ)-definition of limit can be applied to all functions as long as the function is defined and continuous at the point in question. If a function is not continuous, the limit may not exist or may require a different definition to be evaluated.

5. Is the (ε, δ)-definition of limit the only way to determine a limit?

No, the (ε, δ)-definition of limit is not the only way to determine a limit. There are other methods, such as L'Hôpital's rule, that can be used to evaluate limits. However, the (ε, δ)-definition is the most rigorous and precise way to define and evaluate a limit.