Who can differentiate this one?

In summary, for a falling object, the time in terms of velocity can be found by setting up the dynamic equation of ma= m dv/dt= -g- f(v), where "f(v)" represents the resistive force which can be simplified to either -kv or -kv2 depending on the situation. When solving for time, be careful about the signs and remember that drag always acts opposite to velocity, making the coefficient of v negative.
Fiasal teslla
For a falling object, who can find the time in terms of the velocity for this journey( before reaching terminal velocity) with considering the resistive force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Force equals mass times acceleration
Choose what resistive force to use, inverse velocity or inverse square velocity
Write down the differential equation
Solve it

I can"! But are you clear on the terminology? Your title asked "how can differentiate this one" implying you have a function to differentiate but that doesn't appear to be the case. You are just asking about setting up the dynamic equation.

As g edgar says, "Force equals mass times acceleration" so ma= m dv/dt= -g- f(v) where "f(v)" is the resistive force. That can be a very complicated function of the velocity depending on the situation. I do not agree with g edgar's "inverse" formulas. Typically, the faster something is going, the greater the drag, not the other way around. Normally, the drag is simplified to either -kv or -kv2 where k is the constant of proportionallity and v is the speed.

HallsofIvy said:
I can"! But are you clear on the terminology? Your title asked "how can differentiate this one" implying you have a function to differentiate but that doesn't appear to be the case. You are just asking about setting up the dynamic equation.

As g edgar says, "Force equals mass times acceleration" so ma= m dv/dt= -g- f(v) where "f(v)" is the resistive force. That can be a very complicated function of the velocity depending on the situation. I do not agree with g edgar's "inverse" formulas. Typically, the faster something is going, the greater the drag, not the other way around. Normally, the drag is simplified to either -kv or -kv2 where k is the constant of proportionallity and v is the speed.
When I tried to solve it, I started with this equation
F-R=ma, where F= mg, snd R is the risitive force which equals bv (b is a constant)
So, mg-bv=ma
mg-bv=m dv/dt then we separate the variables to get the time in terms of the velocity

Am I correct with that?

Yes, in that case, with resistive force proportional to v, you get a fairly simple equation:m dv/dt= mg- bv, a separable equation. But be careful about signs. If you are taking "upward" to be positive, then it is m dv/dt= -mg- bv. Since drag always acts opposite to velocity, the coefficient of v is always negative.

1. Who can differentiate this one?

The ability to differentiate is not limited to a specific group or individual. Anyone with the necessary knowledge and skills can differentiate the subject in question.

2. What does it mean to differentiate something?

Differentiation refers to the process of identifying and understanding the unique characteristics or features of a subject or object, and distinguishing it from others.

3. Why is differentiation important in science?

Differentiation allows scientists to classify and categorize different organisms, materials, or phenomena based on their distinct properties and behavior. This helps in understanding the natural world and developing theories and explanations for various scientific phenomena.

4. How is differentiation used in scientific research?

Scientists use differentiation in various ways, such as in analyzing and interpreting data, identifying patterns and trends, and developing hypotheses and theories. It is also used in experiments to control and manipulate variables to determine their effect on a particular outcome.

5. Can differentiation be applied to non-scientific fields?

Yes, differentiation is a fundamental concept that can be applied in various fields, including mathematics, economics, and literature. It involves the ability to recognize and understand differences, which is essential in problem-solving and critical thinking in any discipline.