CASMO-5 vs HELIOS: Comparing Lattice Codes

• Thread starter libertad
  • Start date
In summary, CASMO and HELIOS are two lattice codes developed by Studsvik and Scandpower. They were originally separate companies but merged in the 1990s due to market demand. HELIOS can handle hexagonal geometry, while it is uncertain if CASMO can. Both codes have the same function of generating cross-sections from ENDF data and collapsing them for use in core simulators. The specific use for CASMO in cell calculation of VVER fuel assembly is unknown.
libertad
Hi there,
What are the main differences between two lattice codes CASMO and HEIOS which both are developed by Studsvik?

Engineering news on Phys.org
CASMO was developed by Studsvik and HELIOS was developed by Scandpower when they were separate companies. The were the two independents outside of the vendors, but the market couldn't support both companies, so the merged - IIRC, sometime in the 90's.

I understand that HELIOS can accommodate hexagonal geometry, but I'm not sure that CASMO can.

They both do pretty much the same function - generate cross-sections from ENDF data and collapsing them into a more manageable for core simulators like SIMULATE.

Thanks Astronuc
In fact I wanted to know if CASMO can accommodate hexagonal geometry or not.
because I intend to use a proper code for cell calculation of VVER fuel assembly.

1. What are CASMO-5 and HELIOS?

CASMO-5 and HELIOS are two popular lattice codes used in nuclear reactor simulations. They are computer programs that use mathematical models to predict the behavior of nuclear reactors.

2. What is the difference between CASMO-5 and HELIOS?

CASMO-5 and HELIOS have different mathematical models and algorithms, which can lead to slightly different results in reactor simulations. CASMO-5 is a 2D lattice code, while HELIOS is a 3D lattice code.

3. Which one is better for nuclear reactor simulations: CASMO-5 or HELIOS?

There is no clear answer to this question as both codes have their own strengths and weaknesses. It ultimately depends on the specific needs and goals of the simulation.

4. Are there any other lattice codes besides CASMO-5 and HELIOS?

Yes, there are many other lattice codes available for nuclear reactor simulations. Some examples include DRAGON, PARCS, and MCNP. Each code has its own unique features and capabilities.

5. Can CASMO-5 and HELIOS be used together in a simulation?

Yes, it is possible to use both codes together in a simulation. This is often done to take advantage of the strengths of each code and to validate results against each other. However, it does require additional effort and expertise to properly integrate the two codes.