Can my CPU temperature be less than room temp?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a CPU temperature being lower than room temperature with a standard fan and heatsink. It is determined that with a normal fan, it is impossible to go below room temperature. However, there are exceptions where a fan can cool below room temperature, such as with evaporative cooling or using a heat pump. The conversation also delves into the thermodynamics behind metal feeling colder than plastic, and the use of heat pipes in cooling high-end computer CPUs. It is concluded that while it is possible for a CPU to be cooled below room temperature, it is unlikely to happen in a normal setup without specialized cooling methods.
OSalcido
Is it possible that my cpu temp could be less than room temp with a standard fan and heatsink? I've been hearing that it's completely impossible to go below ambient room temperature because the fan is simply blowing air and not cooling anything.

But what about when you turn the fan on in your room... doesn't it cool you? Is it physically impossible for a fan to cool you below room temperature?

Science news on Phys.org
For a normal fan, it is totally impossible to get things below room temperature by just blowing air. However, there are exceptions possible. The simplest one is when the fan makes some liquid evaporate: as such it can be possible to get slightly below room temperature by lowering artificially the partial pressure of the liquid (by removing by convection the air above the liquid), so that evaporation will be favored more than at thermal equilibrium.
A more sophisticated one is when there are high pressure differences because of the "fan" (which became a compressor now), and that one can have a kind of heat pump that way. But a normal fan cannot induce sufficiently high pressure differences to do that.

ok thanks for the response

Three points of amplification:
-A fan cools you normally because of convective heat transfer.
-If your room is above body temp, a fan can still cool you because of evaporation of sweat. The surface temperature of your skin will be well below room temperature (at a temp which depends on the humidity).
-Evaporative cooling (ie, a cooling tower) can provide 75% or so wet-bulb suppression. Ie, if the ambient temperature is 75F and the relative humidity is 50%, the wet bulb temperature (the minimum possible temperature due to evaporation) is 55F and a cooling tower can make 75-(75-55)*.75=60F water.

Now, to come back to the OP, unless he has a very sophisticated PC with integrated cooling tower and water feed, I think it is safe to say that its CPU can never be cooler than ambient temperature...

Many CPUs on higher-end computers use heat sinks with heat pipes, which are based on evaporative cooling. Having said this, I don't think the CPU surface gets much below 50C.

I have to disagree. I have sitting on my desk a "USB Fridge." It is a simple box with a USB-powered fan which blows on a heat sink. It only takes a few moments and the surface temperature of the flat side (the side that would contact the CPU) gets very cold to the touch.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/96b3/

sure it is possible!
even without a fan...
it's a metal piece. it's naturally getting cold, even more than the room temperature.
now it's very improbable, cause the cpu is working, and is near to bla bla bla... but there are definitely materials that goes below rooms temperature by them self.
even after you hit them, they'll come back to a be cool.

all of this bring me to one conclusion. i have to learn thermodynamics.

Mad_Eye said:
it's a metal piece. it's naturally getting cold, even more than the room temperature.

Mad_Eye said:
i have to learn thermodynamics.

When you learn thermodynamics, you will learn that metal is not "naturally cold".

seanleal said:
I have to disagree. I have sitting on my desk a "USB Fridge." It is a simple box with a USB-powered fan which blows on a heat sink. It only takes a few moments and the surface temperature of the flat side (the side that would contact the CPU) gets very cold to the touch.

There is more going on here ... there is a thermoelectric Peltier cooler inside that metal block that allows all this to work. You can see how to build one of these for yourself here:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/944184/diy_5_mini_usb_fridge/

Vanadium 50 said:
When you learn thermodynamics, you will learn that metal is not "naturally cold".

yes, i know i probably said rubbish regarding technical terms, that why i mentioned i have to learn thermodynamics, but this is an empiric fact :P i have a lot of metal stuff here, and they are all definitely colder than the room temperature..

Your empiric fact is that metal FEELS colder, not that it IS colder.

"metal FEELS colder, not that it IS colder"

Yeah, because my fingers and mouth (when I drink my cool drink) lie to me. :-)

seanleal said:

Probably with a Peltier element, no ?

seanleal said:
"metal FEELS colder, not that it IS colder"

Yeah, because my fingers and mouth (when I drink my cool drink) lie to me. :-)

In a way, yes. Because what happens is that metals are good conductors of heat, and if they are at a temperature below your body temperature, they will evacuate more heat from your fingers than would a bad conductor such as plastic. This results in a local lowering of the temperature of your finger which tells your brain that it is cold. If you do the same with a piece of plastic which is initially at the same temperature, then it evacuates less heat, and the finger will signal that it is less cold.

But if you keep a metal coin a long time in your hand so that it gets at your body temperature, it will not feel "cold".

On the other hand, a piece of metal at higher temperature than your body will feel much "hotter" than a piece of plastic at the same temperature, because now the heat flow is in the other direction.

Missed one:
mdelisio said:
Many CPUs on higher-end computers use heat sinks with heat pipes, which are based on evaporative cooling. Having said this, I don't think the CPU surface gets much below 50C.
Heat pipes will passively transfer energy from the chip to the heat sink, but they operate at constant pressure, so they can't lower the temperature below ambient.

1. Can my CPU temperature actually be lower than the temperature of the room it's in?

No, it is physically impossible for your CPU temperature to be lower than the temperature of the room it's in. This is because your CPU generates heat while it's in use, and the heat naturally dissipates into the surrounding environment. Therefore, the temperature of your CPU will always be warmer than the temperature of the room.

2. Is it dangerous for my CPU temperature to be lower than room temperature?

No, it is not dangerous for your CPU temperature to be lower than room temperature. In fact, having a cooler CPU temperature can be beneficial for your computer's performance and longevity. However, if your CPU temperature is significantly lower than room temperature, it could indicate a problem with your cooling system.

3. What factors can cause my CPU temperature to be lower than room temperature?

The primary factor that can cause your CPU temperature to be lower than room temperature is a high-quality cooling system. This includes a well-ventilated computer case, a powerful CPU fan, and a good thermal paste application. Additionally, if you live in a colder climate or keep your computer in a cool room, this can also contribute to a lower CPU temperature.

4. How can I accurately measure my CPU temperature?

The most accurate way to measure your CPU temperature is through software programs specifically designed for this purpose. These programs read the temperature sensors built into your CPU and provide real-time temperature readings. Some popular options include Core Temp, HWMonitor, and SpeedFan.

5. Can a low CPU temperature improve my computer's performance?

Yes, a lower CPU temperature can improve your computer's performance. This is because high temperatures can cause your CPU to throttle, meaning it will reduce its speed to prevent overheating. By keeping your CPU temperature lower, you can avoid throttling and allow your CPU to operate at its full potential, resulting in better performance.