Angle of twist due to linear varying torque

This is necessary because M(x) is a function of x, so you need to integrate over the entire length of the beam (from 0 to L) to find the total torque and then integrate again to find the angle of twist. The correct answer for the angle of twist is θ = tL^3/(6GJ). In summary, to find the angle of twist from one end to another, you need to integrate the differential equation dθ/dx = M/(GJ) twice. The first integration will give you the total torque and the second integration will give you the angle of twist.
Dell
in the following question
http://stommel.tamu.edu/~esandt/Teach/Summer00/CVEN305/Examples/Set3/prob3413.jpg

while G and J are parameters and the moment changes by the function M(x)=t*x
i am asked to find the angle of twist from one end to another

i know

dθ/dx=M/(GJ)

therefore

dθ=M/(GJ)dx

dθ=tx/(GJ)*dx

since t,G,J are independant of X

[tex]\int[/tex]dθ=t/(GJ)[tex]\int[/tex]xdx from 0 to L

θ=tL^2/(2GJ)

but the correct answer
θ=tL^3/(6GJ)

i can see that they have integrated twice, i can only imagine that they integrated once to find the total torque and the second time to find the angle,,,
but surely this should come from the differential equation? surely if M is a function of X and i integrate dx i souldnt need to sum up the torqe seperately??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you have written down is the differential equation for the angle of twist. By integrating the equation twice, you can calculate the angle of twist from one end to another. The first integration will give you the total torque (M(x)) and the second integration will give you the angle of twist (θ).

Your understanding is correct. In order to find the angle of twist from one end to another, you would need to integrate the function M(x) with respect to x to find the total torque. This would be the first integration. Then, in order to find the angle of twist, you would need to integrate the differential equation dθ/dx=M/(GJ) with respect to x. This would be the second integration, and it would result in the correct answer of θ=tL^3/(6GJ).

It is important to note that in this case, the torque is a function of x, so the torque at any point along the length of the object is different. This is why the first integration is necessary in order to find the total torque.

In summary, the correct approach is to first find the total torque by integrating M(x) with respect to x, and then use this result to integrate the differential equation for the angle of twist. This will result in the correct answer of θ=tL^3/(6GJ).

FAQ: Angle of twist due to linear varying torque

1. What is the definition of angle of twist due to linear varying torque?

The angle of twist due to linear varying torque is the measurement of the amount of rotation that occurs in a shaft or beam when a torque is applied to it that changes linearly along its length.

2. How is the angle of twist due to linear varying torque calculated?

The angle of twist can be calculated using the formula: θ = (TL)/GJ, where θ is the angle of twist, T is the applied torque, L is the length of the shaft or beam, G is the shear modulus of elasticity, and J is the polar moment of inertia.

3. What factors affect the angle of twist due to linear varying torque?

The angle of twist can be influenced by several factors such as the magnitude of the torque, the length of the shaft or beam, the material properties of the object, and the rate at which the torque changes along the length of the object.

4. How does the angle of twist due to linear varying torque impact the structural integrity of an object?

Excessive angle of twist can cause structural failure in objects such as shafts and beams. It can lead to increased stress and strain, which can result in permanent deformation or fracture. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the angle of twist when designing structures.

5. What are some common applications of the angle of twist due to linear varying torque?

The angle of twist is an important concept in mechanical engineering and is used in various applications such as designing drive shafts, gears, and other rotating machinery. It is also relevant in structural engineering for designing bridges, buildings, and other load-bearing structures.

Back