Works of Archimedes: Which Version to Buy?

However, if you are primarily interested in the original content of Archimedes' works, then the first book would suffice. Ultimately, it is up to personal preference and what you are looking to gain from your reading experience.
Vid
I'm buying Elements, Counterexamples in Analysis, and the Works of Archimedes off of amazon. I was just wondering about the difference in these two versions of the Works of Archimedes:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486420841/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1402171315/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'm pretty sure the second is the same as the first with 155 pages of introduction by Heath. I was wondering if anyone knew whether this extra material is worth the extra $14 or would I get pretty much the same insight from just reading the first book.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference between the two versions of the Works of Archimedes is that the first one (0486420841) is a reprint of the original version, while the second one (1402171315) includes an introduction by Heath which gives additional historical context and insight into the work of Archimedes. Whether or not the extra material is worth the extra cost is subjective and depends on the individual. If you are looking for more in-depth knowledge about the life and works of Archimedes, then the second book may be a better choice for you.

I cannot make a recommendation on which version of the Works of Archimedes to buy, as it would depend on your personal preferences and needs. However, I can provide some information that may help you make a decision.

The first version, published by Dover Publications, contains the original works of Archimedes with no additional material. This may be suitable for someone looking for a more concise and direct reading of Archimedes' works.

The second version, published by Adamant Media Corporation, includes an additional 155 pages of introduction by Thomas Heath. This may be beneficial for those looking for a more in-depth understanding of Archimedes and his works, as Heath was a renowned scholar on ancient Greek mathematics and his introduction provides valuable context and analysis.

Ultimately, it would be best to read reviews and compare the table of contents of both versions to determine which one aligns better with your needs and interests. Both versions contain the same original works of Archimedes, so the decision may come down to the additional material and the price difference. I hope this helps in your decision-making process.

What are the works of Archimedes?

The works of Archimedes refer to the collection of writings and mathematical works by the ancient Greek mathematician, physicist, engineer, and inventor, Archimedes. These works cover a range of topics including geometry, mechanics, hydrostatics, and astronomy.

Why is it important to buy a version of Archimedes' works?

Buying a version of Archimedes' works allows you to have a physical or digital copy of his writings for reference and study. It also supports the preservation and dissemination of historical and scientific knowledge.

What versions of Archimedes' works are available?

There are several versions of Archimedes' works available, including translations into different languages, annotated editions, and digital versions. Some popular versions include "The Works of Archimedes" by T.L. Heath, "The Method of Archimedes" by Thomas Little Heath, and "The Works of Archimedes" by Johan Ludvig Heiberg.

Which version of Archimedes' works is the best to buy?

The best version to buy depends on your personal preferences and needs. If you are interested in a specific topic or want a more comprehensive collection, it is recommended to research and compare different versions before making a decision.

Where can I buy a version of Archimedes' works?

You can buy versions of Archimedes' works from various online retailers, such as Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and independent bookstores. You may also be able to find digital versions on websites like Project Gutenberg or Open Library.