Help with question on forces with motion, tension, friction

In summary, the given picture shows a problem involving a box and a sled on an incline. The equations and attempt at a solution are also provided. The coefficient of friction is not given, but it is assumed to be present in the equations. However, the equations are inaccurate and do not account for the weight of both the box and the sled, as well as the friction between them. Without knowing the coefficient of friction, it is impossible to accurately solve the problem.
shadowofanub

Homework Statement

http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=workshownph1.jpg

Homework Equations

The equations and the problem, along with the attempt at a solution are shown in the picture above

The Attempt at a Solution

The attempt is in the picture as well. Thanks guys for looking at it and helping out in advance. I have no idea with these sorts of problems where to start or what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
shadowofanub said:

Homework Statement

http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=workshownph1.jpg

Homework Equations

The equations and the problem, along with the attempt at a solution are shown in the picture above

The Attempt at a Solution

The attempt is in the picture as well. Thanks guys for looking at it and helping out in advance. I have no idea with these sorts of problems where to start or what I am doing wrong.

Welcome to PF.
What are you given for the coefficient of friction?

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.
What are you given for the coefficient of friction?

Thanks, its good to be here. Unfortunately all i am given is what is shown in the picture. I just assumed there was friction since it didn't say there wasn't... that's why its in my equations.

shadowofanub said:
Thanks, its good to be here. Unfortunately all i am given is what is shown in the picture. I just assumed there was friction since it didn't say there wasn't... that's why its in my equations.

Your equations are inaccurate. The tension must allow for the weight of both box and sled as the sinθ from the incline.

There should be a μ*m*g*cosθ between the box and the sled. When acceleration of the combined system exceeds that then it will slip. But not knowing that μ ... if it was frictionless on the sled it would slide with any tension on the rope.

FAQ: Help with question on forces with motion, tension, friction

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving while kinetic friction is the force that acts on an object while it is in motion.

How does tension affect motion?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled taut. It can either accelerate or decelerate an object's motion depending on the direction of the tension force and the mass of the object.

What is the relationship between net force and acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that the larger the net force, the greater the acceleration will be.

What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by the type of material, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force pressing the two surfaces together.

How do forces affect an object's motion?

Forces can cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change direction. They can also affect the speed and acceleration of an object's motion.

Back