Relationship between determinant and trace

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation det(M)=exp(tr(lnM)) and the proof for diagonalizable and non-diagonalizable matrices. It mentions Theorem 2.11 on page 36 and the use of decomposition into diagonalizable and nilpotent matrices. The Schur decomposition is also mentioned as an alternative approach. It is noted that in general, it is better to not use the logarithm form as not all matrices have a logarithm.
krishna mohan
Hi...

We have all seen the equation det(M)=exp(tr(lnM)). I was taught the proof using diagonalisation. I was wondering if there was a proof for non-diagonalisable matrices also.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theorem 2.11, page 36. (And I don't think that logarithm is supposed to be there).

Thanks...:smile: ...the way I have written it, the logarithm is supposed to be there...

Ah, I see it now. The left-hand side in the book is det(exp(M)), not det(M).

The book by Hall (linked above) uses the decomposition into diagonalisable + nilpotent which is very important in Lie group theory. As slightly more direct approach is to use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_normal_form" .

Schur decomposition: an arbitrary matrix M decomposes as QUQ-1 where U is upper-triangular and (therefore) has the eigenvalues of M on its diagonal.

det(exp(M)) = det(exp(QUQ-1)) = det(Q exp(U) Q-1) = det(exp(U)) = ∏i exp(λi) = exp(∑λi)

exp(tr(M)) = exp(tr(QMQ-1)) = exp(tr(MQ-1Q)) = exp(tr(M)) = exp(∑λi)

btw, in general it is best to not use the logarithm form - because not all matrices will possesses a logarithm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Relationship between determinant and trace

1. What is the relationship between determinant and trace?

The determinant and trace are two mathematical concepts that are commonly used in linear algebra. The determinant of a square matrix is a number that represents the scaling factor of the linear transformation described by the matrix. The trace, on the other hand, is the sum of the elements on the main diagonal of a square matrix. The relationship between determinant and trace is that the determinant and trace are both characteristics of a square matrix and they are related through the eigenvalues of the matrix.

2. How are determinant and trace calculated?

The determinant of a matrix can be calculated using various methods such as the row reduction method, the cofactor expansion method, or the Gaussian elimination method. The trace of a matrix can be calculated by adding the elements on the main diagonal of the matrix. For example, the trace of a 3x3 matrix A would be calculated as tr(A) = a11 + a22 + a33.

3. How does the determinant affect the trace?

The determinant and trace are both characteristics of a square matrix and they are related through the eigenvalues of the matrix. The determinant of a matrix is the product of its eigenvalues, while the trace is the sum of its eigenvalues. Therefore, the determinant affects the trace by determining the values of the eigenvalues of the matrix, which in turn affects the sum of the eigenvalues.

4. Can the determinant and trace be equal?

It is possible for the determinant and trace to be equal in some cases. For a 2x2 matrix, the determinant and trace will always be equal. However, for larger matrices, the determinant and trace may not be equal. For example, a matrix with all zero elements will have a determinant of 0, but a trace equal to the number of rows/columns in the matrix.

5. What is the significance of the relationship between determinant and trace?

The relationship between determinant and trace is significant because it provides a way to characterize a square matrix and understand its properties. The determinant and trace can be used to determine the eigenvalues of a matrix, which are important in understanding the behavior of linear transformations. Additionally, the determinant and trace are used in various mathematical applications such as solving systems of linear equations and calculating the volume of a parallelepiped in higher dimensions.