Simplifying/Re-arranging Troubles

• Thread starter caddyguy109
  • Start date
In summary, the equation a=everything else (a as a function of several other terms) can be simplified down to a quadratic with respect to a. To solve this equation, group together a^2, a^1 and a^0 terms, and plug in the coefficients into the quadratic formula. Then multiply by sqrt(a^2+4r^2).
caddyguy109
In the middle of a statics problem full of unknowns, and am trying to simplify a sum of moments down to the point where I have: a= everything else (a as a function of several other terms).

Keep getting close, but then always have an extra variable or two that won't go anywhere.

Here's the equation (the k is just noting a unit vector, so ignore):
http://www.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=192455"

The first thing I did was multiply through by a factor of sqrt(a^2 + 4r^2) to get rid of that factor in two of the denominators and the sqrt sign on the other, but then it just started getting REALLY messy.

Can anyone figure out what this equation (in the pic) should be, as "a=..." only??

The other variables in that are: P, L, r, and Nb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody?

It's just algebra, but good lord is it confusing me!

Last edited:
once you get rid of the sq rts, you're left with a quadratic with respect to a. so, group together your a^2, a^1 and a^0 terms, and then plug in the coefficients into the quadratic formula eh?

Hmm...after multiplying through by sqrt(a^2 + 4r^2), I got:

[2PLr - Nb(a^2 + 4r^2) + WLa/2 = 0

then I multiplied through by 2 to get rid of the division by 2 in the last term, and got:

[4PLr - 2Nb(a^2 + 4r^2) + WLa = 0

But how do I apply that to the quadratic formula, if I want to get "a" all alone on one side??

you can't get a all alone on one side... just like you can't get x on one side if you have x^2 + 2x+3=0. you don't even need to multiply by the two. distribute the N_B and get your equation into ax^2+ bx+c form. then apply the quadratic formula. you'll get two possible answers for a, you'll have to decide which one makes more sense.

And that would still end up as "a" as a function of the other terms?

Hmm...going back to my math skills from many years ago...

Okay, got it--thanks!

1. What is simplifying/re-arranging?

Simplifying/re-arranging is the process of rearranging an equation or expression in order to make it easier to solve or understand. This can involve combining like terms, factoring, or rearranging the equation to isolate a specific variable.

2. Why is simplifying/re-arranging important in science?

Simplifying/re-arranging is important in science because it allows us to better understand and manipulate equations and expressions, making it easier to analyze data and make predictions. It also helps to identify relationships between variables and allows for more accurate calculations.

3. What are some common techniques for simplifying/re-arranging?

Some common techniques for simplifying/re-arranging include combining like terms, using the distributive property, factoring, and isolating variables by moving terms to the other side of the equation. Other techniques may vary depending on the specific equation or expression.

4. Can simplifying/re-arranging change the meaning of an equation?

No, simplifying/re-arranging will not change the meaning of an equation. The goal of simplifying/re-arranging is to manipulate the equation in a way that makes it easier to understand and solve, but the overall meaning of the equation remains the same.

5. How can I check if my simplifying/re-arranging is correct?

To check if your simplifying/re-arranging is correct, you can substitute your new equation back into the original equation and see if both sides are equal. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both equations and see if they produce the same graph.