A question on proof of Riesz Representation Theorem when p=1

In summary, the question is about why the g determined by Radon-Nikodym Theorem is in L^\infty, when it is only proven to be in L^1. The solution is to show that if g is not a.e. bounded, then it leads to a contradiction with the boundedness of G, thus proving that g is in fact bounded a.e.
zzzhhh
This question comes from the proof of Riesz Representation Theorem in Bartle's "The Elements of Integration and Lebesgue Measure", page 90-91, as the image below shows.
[URL]http://i3.6.cn/cvbnm/ac/9a/a3/3d06837bc78f74ba103b6d242a78e3a1.png[/URL]

The equation (8.10) is [tex]G(f)=\int fgd\mu[/tex].

The definition of [tex]L^\infty[/tex] space is as follows:
[URL]http://i3.6.cn/cvbnm/a5/0e/22/259193b92d8d2ef4878532eefec4d900.png[/URL]

My question is: why the g determined by Radon-Nikodym Theorem is in [tex]L^\infty[/tex]? I can only prove that it is Lebesgue integrable, that is, belongs to [tex]L^1[/tex] space, but the proof mentions no word on why it is in [tex]L^\infty[/tex], that is, bounded a.e.. Could you please tell me how to prove this? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
zzzhhh said:
I can only prove that it is Lebesgue integrable, that is, belongs to [tex]L^1[/tex] space
The L^1 property already comes from Radon-Nikodym, right? Radon-Nikodym says such a g in L^1 exists. To prove it is also in L^\infty, what about this:

Suppose g is not a.e. bounded, then for every n we can find An with [itex]0<\mu(A_n)<\infty[/itex] such that for all [itex]x\in A_n[/itex] we have [itex]|g(x)|>n[/itex]. Now take
[tex]f_0:=\frac{1_{A_n}|g|}{g}.[/tex]

Then

[tex]\|G\|=\sup\frac{|Gf|}{\|f\|}\geq \frac{|Gf_0|}{\|f_0\|}=\frac{1}{\mu(A_n)}\left|\int fg\right|=\frac{1}{\mu(A_n)}\int_{A_n} |g|>n,[/tex]

in contradiction with G being bounded.

Yes! this is the proof! Thank you for the ingenious construction, I got it.

Related to A question on proof of Riesz Representation Theorem when p=1

1. What is the Riesz Representation Theorem?

The Riesz Representation Theorem is a fundamental result in functional analysis that states any continuous linear functional on a certain type of vector space, known as a Banach space, can be represented as an inner product with a unique vector in that space.

2. What is the significance of the Riesz Representation Theorem?

The Riesz Representation Theorem is significant because it provides a connection between the seemingly separate concepts of linear functionals and inner products. It also allows for the extension of some results from finite-dimensional vector spaces to infinite-dimensional spaces.

3. How is the Riesz Representation Theorem proved when p=1?

When p=1, the Riesz Representation Theorem is proved using the Hahn-Banach Theorem, which is a powerful tool in functional analysis. The proof involves constructing a functional that satisfies certain properties and then showing that it is unique.

4. Can you provide an example of the Riesz Representation Theorem when p=1?

One example of the Riesz Representation Theorem when p=1 is in the space L^1[a,b], which is the set of integrable functions on the interval [a,b]. The dual space of L^1[a,b] is the space of signed measures on [a,b], and the Riesz Representation Theorem states that every continuous linear functional on L^1[a,b] can be represented as an integral with respect to a unique signed measure.

5. How does the Riesz Representation Theorem generalize to other values of p?

The Riesz Representation Theorem is a general result that holds for any value of p between 1 and infinity. When p is between 1 and infinity, the theorem states that every continuous linear functional on the space L^p[a,b] can be represented as an integral with respect to a unique measure. This result is known as the Riesz-Markov-Kakutani Representation Theorem.