Jobs that don't require too much experience, and teach a lot?

In summary, an expert summarizer would recommend teaching oneself programming in order to gain experience in the industry and critical technical issues.
saikyou
I'm not currently working in science but I have a physics degree. So far I've worked in computer tech support, biology research and (currently) teaching English in a foreign country. I'm looking to eventually go back to school and pursue a science career but since most of the deadlines are past, I'm probably going to have to wait at least a year and a half.

So, in the meantime I'm wondering what kind of jobs would be good for someone like me who has the background but no experience? Something scientific or at least technical, where I would get valuable training and that would be helpful for grad school, or at least getting me in. It seems like a lot of people would get these kinds of jobs either during or right after college; I'm now 5 years removed from graduation but my skills are pretty much comparable to a college student.

Physics news on Phys.org
Entry level technical jobs at an engineering or technology firm would require little experience, but could provide an opportunity to learn a lot. The learning part is up to the individual.

Usually, when one obtains the first job out of school, the employer is looking for ability/capability based on one's academic achievements. If I'm interviewing an undergrad looking for a job, beyond the academic background, I look for someone who has an idea about the technololgy and industry beyond what is taught in the classroom. I want someone who is familiar with the industry and the critical technical issues. Such information comes from reading scientific and technical journals, and the trade press.

Since my company does a lot in the area of modeling and simulation, then skill in programming and numerical methods are strongly desired.

Yes, that's just the kind of job that I would love to get, especially if I could get training and experience in programming (as it is I only have a little). What is a good way to find those kinds of positions - there has to be some better way than cruising careerbuilder.com...? I plan to talk with my university's career placement service, but perhaps there are some good methods that I can try as an individual.

Look out for computer tech support jobs in academic environments. Then learn programming & other skills on the job... Non-academic environments might be OK for this as well, and might pay better. But you'll probably have more time & freedom & opportunity to learn stuff in an academic environment... In the UK I'd recommend looking on jobs.ac.uk. Not sure if there is similar for US - Google "University IT jobs" for starters...

While looking for a job, why not teach yourself programming? If you fancy learning OOP (and you should!) then try:

http://squeakbyexample.org/

I understand your desire to continue learning and gaining valuable experience while waiting to pursue a science career. There are many jobs that can provide valuable training and skills for someone with a physics degree and limited experience. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Laboratory Technician/Assistant: Many research labs and companies hire technicians or assistants to help with experiments and data collection. This would allow you to gain hands-on experience in a scientific setting and learn new techniques and skills.

2. Science Writer/Communicator: With your background in physics and experience in teaching, you may have a talent for communicating complex scientific concepts to a general audience. Consider freelance writing or working for a science publication or organization to improve your communication skills and gain a better understanding of the scientific community.

3. Technical Support in a Scientific Field: Your experience in computer tech support could be useful in a scientific setting, such as providing technical support for scientific equipment or software. This would allow you to continue using your technical skills while also gaining exposure to the scientific field.

4. Science Education Outreach: Many organizations and institutions offer outreach programs to educate the public about science. Your teaching experience and scientific background could make you a valuable asset in these types of roles.

It is also worth considering volunteering or interning at a research lab or scientific organization to gain more experience and make connections in the field. Keep in mind that even though you may be a few years removed from graduation, your skills and knowledge are still valuable and can be applied in various scientific settings. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What are some examples of jobs that don't require too much experience, but offer a lot of opportunities for learning?

Some examples of jobs that fit this criteria include internships, entry-level positions in fields like marketing or customer service, and apprenticeships in trades such as carpentry or plumbing.

2. Are there any industries that are known for offering jobs with a high learning potential?

Yes, the technology industry is known for offering many entry-level positions with opportunities for learning and growth. Other industries that may offer similar opportunities include healthcare, education, and consulting.

3. How can I make the most of a job that has a steep learning curve?

To make the most of a job with a steep learning curve, be proactive in seeking out opportunities to learn and grow. Ask questions, take on new tasks and responsibilities, and seek feedback from colleagues and supervisors. Additionally, make use of resources such as online courses or workshops to supplement your learning.

4. Are there any skills or qualities that can make a job with little experience more rewarding in terms of learning?

Some skills and qualities that can make a job with little experience more rewarding in terms of learning include a strong work ethic, adaptability, curiosity, and a willingness to take on new challenges. These qualities can help you make the most of any learning opportunities that come your way.

5. Is it possible to advance in a career without much prior experience?

Yes, it is possible to advance in a career without much prior experience. By continuously learning and seeking out new opportunities, you can gain valuable skills and experience that can help you progress in your career. Networking and building relationships with professionals in your field can also open doors for advancement opportunities.