Help with software developer career

In summary, you are not a technology buff and you're not really fitting in with your co-workers. You should just focus on writing good software.
trickslapper
So i started my new career last week as an entry level software developer/analyst. Something that's been bothering me is that I'm not really a technology buff. I love to program because i like to solve problems/puzzles. Probably the same reason i like math.

If i had to describe myself i would say that I'm much more of an algorithmatician than anything else. So when some of the guys at work talk about building a linux server for home use or the latest phone it makes me feel like i shouldn't be in this profession.

Anybody else ever feel this way? I don't feel like i can't do my job because I've been doing really good so far. I feel like.. I don't fit in with my co-workers because I'm not so big on the newest technology like phones, tablets, etc.

Maybe I'm just anxious because i just started.. i don't know. Advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're definitely not alone, I feel the same way. I like problem solving, I'd actually prefer to solve problems with a pen and paper, but programming jobs are a lot more common. Feelings like this won't stop you from being a successful software developer.

I don't really have any advice. As for me, I just focus on writing good software. Most people I've worked with just seem happy that I can add enhancements and fix bugs quickly. While I can't join in on conversations comparing the virtues of this phone vs. that phone, I've also worked with a fair number of people that like to talk about science and that stuff is fun for me to talk about.

In short, I wouldn't worry.

Just remember there is a big difference between "building a Linux server" and "actually knowing anything much about how Linux works".

If you have only been in the job for a week, you probably haven't sorted out the BS artists from those who know something worth knowing. (Hint: the people who do know stuff tend not to spend all day talking about it).

If you are working for a company developing iPhone applications and you have never used an iPhone then you are probably at a disadvantage. If you are working for a company developing software to run on a Linux server then it can't hurt if you run Linux on all your personal computers (it isn't anything you can't learn if you don't).

Other than it doesn't really matter if you aren't waiting in line 8 hours the morning the iPhone 6 comes out.

Some of my friends have been rather successful in their software development careers, and they don't spend much time with technology in their off hours. There is nothing wrong with having hobbies that are different from what you do for 40 hours a week at your job.

I'm an engineer but engineering isn't one of my hobbies. For some of my coworkers it is. I haven't seen any correlation between either productivity or job satisfaction between either of the two groups. Don't worry about it.

1. What qualifications do I need to become a software developer?

To become a software developer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering, or a related field. However, some employers may also accept candidates with a strong background in programming and relevant work experience.

2. Is it necessary to have coding experience to pursue a career as a software developer?

While having prior coding experience can be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many software developers learn on the job and receive training from their employers. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts and languages can give you a head start in your career.

3. What skills are important for a successful career as a software developer?

Some of the key skills that are important for a software developer include proficiency in programming languages, problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, strong communication skills, and the ability to work well in a team. Additionally, staying updated with the latest technologies and being adaptable to change are also crucial for success.

4. How can I advance in my software developer career?

One way to advance in your career as a software developer is to continuously learn and develop new skills. This can involve taking courses, attending workshops and conferences, and staying updated with industry trends. Additionally, seeking out new challenges and taking on leadership roles can also help you advance in your career.

5. What is the job outlook for software developers?

The job outlook for software developers is very positive, with a projected growth rate of 22% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. This is due to the increasing demand for software and applications in various industries, as well as the constant advancements in technology. This makes it a great time to pursue a career as a software developer.