Can Steve Transition from Healthcare to Aerospace with an MD/MBA?

• Thread starter srfrancis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerospace
In summary, Steve has been interested in aerospace since middle school, but was urged to pursue medicine by his parents. He obtained a BS in biomed engineering and biochemistry and is currently finishing his MD and MBA. However, he has realized that healthcare is not for him and is now looking for ways to enter the aerospace industry. He is considering options such as consulting, working in medtech/biotech, or pursuing a masters in aerospace. However, he may also have opportunities in human factors engineering or the medical device industry.
srfrancis
Lurking for a longtime, finally wanted to jump in.

Long story short, I've been interested in aerospace since middle school, taught myself a lot after learning calc in high school. I was urged by my parents to pursue medicine for the money (mother was a secretary to a nuclear engineer with many negative connotations due mainly to her company/industry), so I did, got a BS in biomed engineering and biochemistry, now finishing my MD and MBA. Needless to say, healthcare is not for me. Medical science is great, but patients generally are not. I went for the joint MBA figuring that I could at best parlay it to either consulting or a medtech/biotech job to pay off the bills (~250k) which I am applying to now. A masters in AE was not allowed in our program, I asked.

So now I'm trying to see how I can get into aerospace. Unfortunately self taught knowledge went out with the 1800's, so I need some sort of proof of ability, possibly a masters? Anyway, these were the possibilities I could come up with. Ideas?

MD/MBA -> consulting -> aerospace
MD/MBA -> medtech/biotech -> work for a while, maybe get masters with enough finances ->aerospace, alma is USC which has a distance degrees
MD/MBA -> aerospace medicine -> aerospace only 2 civilian residencies in US, and Id prefer never to see another patient in my life
MD/MBA -> aerospace applying for some internships this summer, hoping I get a hit

Thanks for any help.
Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Steve,

If you really want to get into Aerospace engineering [I am assuming you mean engineering or other technical work since you did not say], I think your second listed option will probably work best. If I were hiring aeronautical engineers, I would probably pass on someone with your educational background if there were candidates with appropriate education or experience. I'm not knocking your education, it is just in a very different discipline.

However, if you are interested in the aerospace field in general, there may be some hope. There are such things as human factors engineers in aerospace who have to evaluate how well a human being can use the machines in question under operating conditions. You have to be aware that most jobs that use the words "human factors engineer" mean human-computer interface design, but there is some need to evaluate the actual, physical activities that people do inside of machines traveling at high velocities as well.

Elsewise, have you considered a job in medical devices? I work in this industry, and there would be many opportunities for someone with your education that do not ever involve working directly with patients. If what you say about your student debt is correct, you may want to consider skipping any additional school until you are paid off.

It's great to hear about your interest in aerospace and your journey from healthcare to pursuing your passion. It sounds like you have a strong background in science and have already achieved a lot with your MD and MBA. I would suggest exploring opportunities in consulting or medtech/biotech that are related to aerospace, as this will give you valuable experience and knowledge in the field. Additionally, consider networking with professionals in the aerospace industry and seeking out internships or job shadowing opportunities to gain firsthand experience. As for obtaining a masters in aerospace, it may not be necessary if you have relevant experience and skills, but it could certainly be a helpful addition to your resume. Best of luck in your endeavors!

1. How did Steve's background in healthcare inform his transition to the aerospace industry?

Steve's experience in healthcare taught him important skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail. These skills are highly transferable to the aerospace industry, where precision and accuracy are crucial. Additionally, Steve's knowledge of medical technology and equipment gave him a unique perspective on the potential applications of similar technology in the aerospace industry.

2. What challenges did Steve face during his transition to the aerospace industry?

One of the main challenges Steve faced was learning the technical and engineering aspects of the aerospace industry. Coming from a healthcare background, he had to familiarize himself with new terminology, processes, and technologies. Additionally, he had to adapt to a different work culture and environment. However, his curiosity and determination helped him overcome these challenges.

3. How did Steve's healthcare experience contribute to his success in the aerospace industry?

Steve's experience in healthcare gave him a unique perspective and problem-solving approach that proved to be beneficial in the aerospace industry. His understanding of complex medical equipment and processes helped him quickly grasp and apply new concepts in the aerospace field. Additionally, his experience working with teams in high-pressure and time-sensitive situations prepared him for the fast-paced and collaborative nature of the aerospace industry.

4. What advice does Steve have for others looking to make a career change to a completely different industry?

Steve's advice is to be open-minded and curious. It is essential to have a willingness to learn and adapt to new environments and challenges. Networking and connecting with professionals in the desired industry can also provide valuable insights and opportunities. Lastly, having a positive attitude and being persistent in pursuing opportunities can lead to success in a career change.

5. How is Steve's journey from healthcare to aerospace an example of the importance of interdisciplinary skills?

Steve's journey is a prime example of the value of interdisciplinary skills. His background in healthcare equipped him with skills that were highly transferable to the aerospace industry. By combining his knowledge and experience from different fields, Steve was able to bring a unique perspective and contribute to the innovation and growth of the aerospace industry. This showcases the importance of interdisciplinary skills in today's interconnected and constantly evolving job market.