Complex math concepts with simple explanations?

In summary, the unknown variable in math, X, is named after being at the end of the alphabet, giving it a mysterious connotation. Similarly, there are other words in language with mathematical origins, such as fortnight and quarantine. The word decimate also has a mathematical origin but is commonly misused in modern language.
MagicalMystery
I've read that the reason why X is the unknown is because of a rule in spanish. That is funny to me because we see math as this complex thing and some of its most mysterious concepts have a simple reason behind it.

I was wondering if there were more concepts like this that had explanations that might be unrelated to math, like some rule in language.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of that rule, which is not to say that there isn't such a rule. I remember saying that x, y, and z are the unknowns because somehow being at the end of the alphabet made them seem more mysterious.

Coming at it from the other direction, there are a number of words that have arcane mathematical origins that have crept into the language, such as fortnight and quarantine. A fortnight has nothing to do with forts - it's a Britishism that means two weeks (short for fourteen nights). Quarantine comes from the Italian word quaranta, or forty, from the number of days that people suspected of having the plague were separated from healthy people. If they survived the forty days (the quarantine), they must not have had the illness.

Mark44 said:
Coming at it from the other direction, there are a number of words that have arcane mathematical origins that have crept into the language

Decimate comes from Latin decimare, to kill every tenth person.

Right, and it's a word that is more often misused than used in the original sense, such as when some weather person talks about a tornado "decimating" a town when the town has been completely flattened.

I can certainly appreciate the beauty and simplicity behind complex math concepts. It is true that many of these concepts can be explained in a simple and elegant manner, often using analogies or connections to other subjects such as language. However, it is important to remember that the complexity of math lies not in its explanations, but in its applications and implications. Math is a powerful tool for understanding and manipulating the world around us, and while its concepts may have simple explanations, their impact and significance in various fields cannot be underestimated.

1. What are complex numbers and how are they used in math?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. These numbers are used in various fields of math, such as in solving polynomial equations, in electrical engineering, and in physics.

2. Can you provide a simple explanation for Euler's Identity?

Euler's Identity is a mathematical equation that relates the five most important numbers in mathematics: 0, 1, π (pi), e (Euler's number), and i (the imaginary unit). It is written as e^(iπ) + 1 = 0 and it is considered one of the most beautiful equations in math.

3. What is the difference between a real function and a complex function?

A real function is a mathematical function that takes real numbers as inputs and outputs real numbers. On the other hand, a complex function is a mathematical function that takes complex numbers as inputs and outputs complex numbers. Complex functions involve both real and imaginary parts in their calculations.

4. How are complex numbers represented on a graph?

Complex numbers can be represented on a graph using a coordinate system called the complex plane. The real part of the complex number is plotted on the x-axis, while the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis. The intersection of these two values represents the complex number in the form a + bi.

5. Can you explain the concept of conjugates in complex numbers?

The conjugate of a complex number is another complex number that has the same real part but the imaginary part is the opposite sign. For example, the conjugate of 3 + 2i is 3 - 2i. Conjugates are important in complex number operations, such as division and finding roots, as they help simplify the calculations.