Odd voltages on home built PSU

• Thread starter relativespeed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary: You might as well just use a brick or something to create a 'load'.In summary, a power supply with a transformer that outputs 13.6VDC without modifications can output 18VDC with the addition of a 1000 microfarad capacitor.
relativespeed
I'm working on building a power supply (120VAC to ~12VDC). The Transformer puts out 13.6VAC without any modifications. But once I put on a diode on each side (make into DC) then put on a 1000 microfarad capacitor to eliminate the cosine curve it bumps up to 18VDC. Without said capacitor it registers 6VDC (probably due to the cos curve still existing). I'm at a loss here, I tried to use a larger (4700) capacitor and the voltage was the same, so I don't believe it was that at fault. It's a typical 3 output transformer with one black and two yellow wires with the yellow ones being used. Thnx ahead of time!

Physics news on Phys.org
To get full voltage with a full wave rectification, you need a bridge (full wave) rectifier (four diodes). Full-voltage half-wave rectification requires only one diode. Put a dc load across the capacitor to drain charge off between every (half) cycle to get a better voltage reading.

To get better voltage regulation, put a large NPN transistor (e.g., 2N3055) in series. Use a resistor and zener to control base voltage. Connect collector to capacitor, and emitter to load. Or you could use a 2N7912 or other regulator.

The black wire is a center tap on the transformer secondary, useful for full wave rectification with two diodes. The black wire is ground. But you get only half the voltage out.

I'd use a regulator with caps on both sides, to minimize ripple. It's pretty much the standard thing.
For a 12V regulator like a 7812 you'll need at least 15V though, although you can probably find a low-drop version. And remember to attach it to some cooling flange.

alxm said:
I'd use a regulator with caps on both sides, to minimize ripple. It's pretty much the standard thing.
For a 12V regulator like a 7812 you'll need at least 15V though, although you can probably find a low-drop version. And remember to attach it to some cooling flange.
Well, I have 18V now, so that wouldn't a problem. Nor would a couple heat sinks and a small fan from an old CPU.

Bob S said:
To get full voltage with a full wave rectification, you need a bridge (full wave) rectifier (four diodes). Full-voltage half-wave rectification requires only one diode. Put a dc load across the capacitor to drain charge off between every (half) cycle to get a better voltage reading.

To get better voltage regulation, put a large NPN transistor (e.g., 2N3055) in series. Use a resistor and zener to control base voltage. Connect collector to capacitor, and emitter to load. Or you could use a 2N7912 or other regulator.

The black wire is a center tap on the transformer secondary, useful for full wave rectification with two diodes. The black wire is ground. But you get only half the voltage out.

I'd be a little nervous about running a couple amps thru a transistor though, wouldn't it burn out? I'm looking to build a 3AMP transformer box. And could you come up with a diagram or something? I'm not quite getting what you said on how to wire it all.

Well, asked an electrical engineer, and got a dur answer I should have known: it's not regulated, so the voltage will vary upon load, probably from 18-9 volts pending on ampheres going thru it.

1. What causes odd voltages on a home built PSU?

Odd voltages on a home built PSU can be caused by a variety of factors, including incorrect wiring, faulty components, or inadequate power supply capacity. It is important to thoroughly check all connections and components to identify the root cause of the issue.

2. How can I troubleshoot odd voltage readings?

To troubleshoot odd voltage readings on a home built PSU, start by checking the wiring and connections for any loose or incorrect connections. You can also use a multimeter to test the voltage output of each individual component to identify any faulty parts that may be causing the issue.

3. Can a DIY PSU be as reliable as a store-bought PSU?

With proper planning and execution, a DIY PSU can be just as reliable as a store-bought PSU. However, it is important to have a thorough understanding of electronics and follow proper safety precautions when building your own PSU.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using a home built PSU?

Yes, there can be safety concerns with using a home built PSU if it is not properly designed and constructed. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and use high-quality components to minimize the risk of electrical shock or fire hazards.

5. Can I modify my home built PSU to fix odd voltage issues?

In some cases, it may be possible to modify your home built PSU to fix odd voltage issues. However, this should only be done by experienced individuals with a thorough understanding of electronics. It is important to proceed with caution and only make modifications if you are confident in your abilities to do so safely.