Creating a Rule for A^n Matrix Power

In summary, the pattern for finding the entries in the second row of the matrix A^n is to take the power n and multiply it by the first entry in the second row, then subtract 1. This holds true for all powers of A.
ronicencen

Homework Statement

Given the matrix A= 1 2, make a rule for A^n
0 3

Homework Equations

A^2= 1 8 , so the first and last numbers are put to the power given (i tried other powers)
0 9

But then what about the 8?

Another one: A^5= 1 242
0 243

I need to get a general formula... it seems as though the 242 is the last number-1

But then if I have something like B= -1 1
-16 7
It goes all strange

B^2= -15 6
-96 33

Ok, if I make it C= a b
c d

Is this right for C^2: a^2+c ?
? d^2+c

By the way, the ? mean I don't know

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I don't understand why you introduced the new matrix B at all? The only reason they want you to find the pattern for A is because A has an easy to spot pattern! You've pretty much found it, except you just need to know the pattern for the 2nd entry on the first row.

Imagine starting as

[tex] \begin{align*}
A &=\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 0 & 3 \end{bmatrix} \\
A^2 & = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 8 \\ 0 & 9 \end{bmatrix}\\
A^3 & = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 26 \\ 0 & 27 \end{bmatrix}\\
\vdots & = \vdots \\
A^{10} & = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 59048 \\ 0 & 59049 \end{bmatrix}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

and continuing. What pattern do you see relating the entries in the first and second rows of column 2?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the pattern...but how would I make an equation?

An equation can be as simple as this one (totally made up, unrelated to your matrix problem)

[tex]
a_1 = 2, a_2 = 3, \dots a_n = n+1
[/tex]

Last edited:
ronicencen said:
I see the pattern...but how would I make an equation?

I'm not sure you really "see the pattern" since if you did it would be easy to see the equation. Presumably you are able to see that the lower right corner number of An, 3, 9, 27. 81, ... is 3n. How does the number directly above it 2, 8, 26, 80, ... relate to that?

It's -1?

1. What is a rule for A^n matrix power?

A rule for A^n matrix power is a mathematical formula that helps determine the value of a matrix raised to a specific power n. It involves performing a series of matrix multiplications according to a specific pattern.

2. How do I create a rule for A^n matrix power?

To create a rule for A^n matrix power, you need to first determine the dimensions of the matrix and the specific power n. Then, you can use the pattern of matrix multiplications to form a general formula that can be applied to any matrix of that size raised to any power.

3. What is the purpose of creating a rule for A^n matrix power?

The purpose of creating a rule for A^n matrix power is to simplify the process of calculating the value of a matrix raised to a specific power. It allows for a quicker and more efficient way to solve problems involving matrix powers.

4. Can a rule for A^n matrix power be applied to any matrix?

Yes, a rule for A^n matrix power can be applied to any square matrix, regardless of its size or the values of its elements. However, the specific rule may vary depending on the size and type of the matrix.

5. Are there any limitations to creating a rule for A^n matrix power?

The main limitation to creating a rule for A^n matrix power is that it can only be applied to square matrices. Additionally, the rule may become more complex for larger matrices or higher powers, making it more difficult to calculate.