Calculating Mean, Median or Mode for Ace-Inhibitor Patients

In summary, the most common level of an ace-inhibitor taken by patients who take the drug is estimated using the mean, median, or mode. However, due to the presence of outliers, the median (12.5) would be the most appropriate measure of central tendency. The "0" measurements can be considered outliers and should not be included in the calculation.
Nikki10

Homework Statement

You are asked to estimate of the most common level of a ace-inhibitor taken by patients who take the drug. Give your best estimate of central tendency.

These are the measurements
0.0 12.5 13.6 14.5 12.0 13.2
0.0 0.0 13.1 14.2 12.5 12.2

Homework Equations

Mean, Median or mode

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it is definitely not the mode. I am stuck between the mean and the median. The median should be used when skewed data is present because it is less sensitive to outliers. This data is skewed because the median (12.5) is greater than the mean (9.8)

However, should those patients with measurements of be considered outliers because three of them had this measurement.

Help please

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, those "0"s are definitely outliers!

I agree that the median would be the best estimate of central tendency, but the phrase "You are asked to estimate of the most common level" stick out at me. That wording isn't often used as a description of what either the mean or median provide.

1. How do you calculate the mean for Ace-Inhibitor patients?

The mean for Ace-Inhibitor patients can be calculated by adding up all of the values in the dataset and then dividing by the total number of values. This will give you the average value for the group of patients.

2. What is the median for Ace-Inhibitor patients?

The median for Ace-Inhibitor patients is the middle value in the dataset when the values are arranged in ascending or descending order. If there is an even number of values, then the median is the average of the two middle values.

3. How do you find the mode for Ace-Inhibitor patients?

The mode for Ace-Inhibitor patients is the value that occurs most frequently in the dataset. It can be found by looking for the value with the highest frequency or by creating a frequency table.

4. What should I do if there is no mode for Ace-Inhibitor patients?

If there is no value that occurs more frequently than others in the dataset, then there is no mode for Ace-Inhibitor patients. In this case, focus on using the mean and median to understand the central tendency of the data.

5. How do outliers affect the mean, median, and mode for Ace-Inhibitor patients?

Outliers, which are extreme values in the dataset, can greatly impact the mean but have little effect on the median and mode. This is because the mean takes into account all values in the dataset, while the median and mode are based on the middle or most frequently occurring values. It is important to identify and address outliers when calculating these measures of central tendency.