B.s. Molecular Biology switch to education

In summary, the person is currently pursuing a BS in molecular biology but wants to switch to a BS Ed. in biology to become a high school biology teacher. They are concerned about job opportunities and have not taken a molecular biology course yet. They are seeking advice from others in a similar situation and are considering taking additional courses for teacher certification. Another person in a similar situation is majoring in physics and wants to teach high school science and math because they are passionate about teaching. They are considering Teach For America as a route into elementary/high school teaching.
Mr. College
Hi everyone,

Right now I'm pursuing a BS in molecular biology and I decided I'd like to switch to a Bs Ed. in biology and teach high school biology. I'm 49 credits in so far just looking for some advice, part of me wants to finish the Bs degree and then get certified K-12 at the graduate level.

I'm already in education now, I drive a school bus part-time and really enjoy working with the teachers and students. I like biology, but I'm also concerned about getting a job in my field, something related to my degree. I haven't taken molecular biology yet, so I'm not sure what I'd be missing.

Is anybody else out there in a similar situation? Did anyone graduate with a B.S. and then go back to be certified K-12(Any subject)? Or has anyone switched mid way through their degree and took the humps. For me it wouldn't be too bad, I'd have to take another psych course and then another computer course specifically for teachers. Any thoughts or advice is deeply appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I can relate in a particular way. I'm majoring in physics and looking to teach high school science and math simply because teaching is what I'm passionate about. I know a lot of teachers that have both their bachelor's degree in a content area of science/engineering as well as degrees in education with emphases in a particular science and both can teach very well. The only reason I decided to go the physics route vs. an education degree with an emphasis in physics/physical science is because I'm also passionate about physics and astronomy and want to learn as much as I can about the subject.

My fellow grads that went into elementary/high school teaching did so via "Teach For America". Check it out.

1. What is the difference between B.s. Molecular Biology and education?

Molecular biology is a branch of science that studies the structure, function, and interactions of biological molecules, while education is the process of imparting knowledge and skills to others. B.s. Molecular Biology switch to education would involve transitioning from a career in molecular biology to one in education, where the focus is on teaching and mentoring students.

2. What skills from B.s. Molecular Biology are transferable to education?

Many skills from B.s. Molecular Biology are transferable to education, including critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and laboratory techniques. These skills can be applied to designing and implementing lesson plans, developing educational materials, and guiding students in their learning.

3. Is a B.s. Molecular Biology degree sufficient for a career in education?

A B.s. Molecular Biology degree can provide a strong foundation for a career in education, but additional training and experience may be necessary. Pursuing a teaching certification or a graduate degree in education can help prepare individuals for a career in education.

4. What opportunities are available for individuals with a B.s. Molecular Biology background in the field of education?

Individuals with a B.s. Molecular Biology background can pursue various roles in education, such as teaching science courses at the secondary or post-secondary level, developing educational materials for science curricula, or working in educational outreach programs. They may also have opportunities to mentor and advise students interested in pursuing careers in science.

5. How can someone with a B.s. Molecular Biology background make the transition to education?

To make the transition to education, individuals can start by gaining experience in teaching, mentoring, or developing educational materials. They can also pursue additional education or training in teaching and educational methods. Networking and reaching out to professionals in the education field can also help with the transition.