What is the complete expansion of |1+a|^2 for a complex number a?

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of |1+a|^2 in quantum mechanics and how it relates to complex numbers. The remaining terms in the expansion are 1+a/2+a*/2+a*a. There is some confusion about the correct expansion, but it is eventually determined to be 1+a+a*+aa*.
cabrera
Hi,

Could you help me to understand the following expansion I found in a book of qunatum mechanics.

|1+a|^2=1+a+a*+... where a* is the complex conjugate of a

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the remaining terms in the expansion? I don't think it is an infinite series...

If ##a=x+iy##, where ##x## and ##y## are real, then we have

[itex]\left| 1+a \right|^{2} = (1+a)(1+a)^{*}=(1+x+iy)(1+x-iy)=1+x+x^{2}+y^{2}=1+\frac{a}{2}+\frac{a^{*}}{2}+a^{*}a[/itex]

hilbert2 said:
What are the remaining terms in the expansion? I don't think it is an infinite series...

[itex]\left| 1+a \right|^{2} = (1+a)(1+a)^{*}=(1+x+iy)(1+x-iy)=1+x+x^{2}+y^{2}=1+\frac{a}{2}+\frac{a^{*}}{2}+a^{*}a[/itex]

I really don't see how you got this. To me it's

[tex]|1 + a|^2 = (1+a)(1+a)^* = (1 + a)(1 + a^*) = 1 + a + a^* + aa^*[/tex]

^ Sorry, it should have been ##1+2x+x^{2}+y^{2}##. :blushing:

hilbert2 said:

This expansion has errors...

[itex]\left| 1+a \right|^{2} = (1+a)(1+a)^{*}=(1+x+iy)(1+x-iy)=(1+x)^2+y^2=x^2+2x+1+y^2=1+x+iy+x-iy+(x+iy)(x-iy)=1+a+a{*}+(a)(a){*}[/itex]
Hope this helps...

Related to What is the complete expansion of |1+a|^2 for a complex number a?

What is expansion in science?

Expansion, also known as thermal expansion, is a physical phenomenon in which an object increases in size when its temperature increases. This is due to the increase in the average kinetic energy of the particles that make up the object, causing them to vibrate and take up more space.

What are some examples of expansion?

One common example of expansion is the expansion of a metal rod when heated. This is why railroad tracks have small gaps between them, to allow for expansion due to temperature changes. Another example is the expansion of air in a hot air balloon, causing it to rise.

Why is expansion important to understand?

Understanding expansion is crucial in various fields such as engineering, construction, and thermodynamics. It helps predict and account for changes in size and shape of materials due to temperature changes, preventing structural damage and ensuring safety.

How is expansion measured?

Expansion is typically measured using the coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE), which is a measure of how much a material will expand or contract for every degree change in temperature. It is expressed in units of length per unit of temperature (e.g. mm/m°C).

What factors affect expansion?

The degree of expansion in an object is influenced by various factors such as the material's composition, its CTE, the temperature change, and the dimensions of the object. Generally, materials with higher CTE values will expand more significantly for a given temperature change.