Good Book about number theory?

In summary, "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" by Niven et.al. is a highly recommended book for self-study in number theory. It includes challenging problems and limited hints and answers, making it a valuable resource for those looking for a challenge.
chaoseverlasting
I've never studied the number theory before, and its not something I can study as an elective. What good book could I use for self study?

Physics news on Phys.org

Elementary Number Theory by Jones and Jones is good.

Thank you. I'll see if its available here.

"An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" by Niven et.al.

qspeechc said:
"An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" by Niven et.al.

I'll second this book. Hints and answers are given only for selected problems. I'm not sure if there is a solutions manual available but it could be very helpful. The starred problems are very difficult (I think the last problem in the divisibility section of chapter 1 is considered one of the hardest international math olympiad problems) so try them if you want a real challenge.

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of integers. It involves studying patterns and structures within numbers, as well as their properties and behavior.

2. Why is number theory important?

Number theory is important because it has many real-world applications, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. It also helps in understanding the fundamental properties of numbers and their patterns.

3. What are some key concepts in number theory?

Some key concepts in number theory include prime numbers, divisibility, modular arithmetic, Diophantine equations, and the distribution of primes.

4. What are some famous theorems in number theory?

Some famous theorems in number theory include Fermat's Last Theorem, the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, the Prime Number Theorem, and the Goldbach Conjecture.

5. How can I improve my understanding of number theory?

To improve your understanding of number theory, it is important to practice solving problems and proofs, read books and articles on the subject, and participate in discussions with other mathematicians or students. It can also be helpful to take courses or attend lectures on number theory.