Domain and ranges of composition function

In summary, the in-and-out method is a way to determine the domain and range of a composite function without knowing what the graph looks like. It involves finding the domain of the inner function and comparing it with the range of the outer function. The domain will be all real numbers except for the points that do not meet both conditions of being in the domain of the inner function and the range of the outer function. The range can be found by looking at what the inner function maps the domain to and then what the outer function maps that range to.
Coco12
My teacher discussed an in and out method that could be used however I don't understand how that works. Can someone explain it to me? The teacher said this method would allow us to determine the domain and range without knowing what the graph looked like.
How I have been doing it is looking at the domain of the inner function then looking at the domain of the composition function to figure out the domain of the composition function. However this method requires you to know how the graph looks like.
Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is this in-and-out method of which you speak?

I'm not really sure how to describe it but it's like you find the domain and ranges for the inner function and then the answer you get for the range you subbed it into the domain of the other function??

OK, that's what I kind of suspected it was.

Say you have two functions, f and g, and you combine them to produce a new function h(x) = g(f(x)).

The first problem you'd run into is in trying to evaluate f(x). Obviously, x has to be in the domain of f. So say it is. We'll write y=f(x). Now you want to evaluate g(y). Clearly, to be able to do this, y has to be in the domain of g. If it's not, then we must rule out any values of x that f maps onto y.

Let's look at an example. Say ##f(x) = \sqrt{1-x}## and g(y) = 1/y, and let h(x) = g(f(x)). We want to find the domain of h.

First, we look at f. For f(x) to be defined, 1-x has to be non-negative, i.e. 1-x ≥ 0 or x ≤ 1, because you can't take the square root of a negative number. So after this first bit of analysis, we know that the domain of h at most is the interval (-∞,1].

Now we look at g(y), which isn't defined when y=0 because you can't divide by 0. So we need to figure out what values of x map to 0. In other words, we need to solve f(x)=0. If you do that, you'll find that when x=1, f(x)=0. That means we need to rule out x=1 from the domain of h.

The domain of h, therefore, is what we had before, (-∞,1], with the point x=1 removed. In other words, it's (-∞,1).

Last edited:
What about the range?

vela said:
Let's look at an example. Say ##f(x) = \sqrt{1-x}## and g(y) = 1/y, and let h(x) = g(f(x)). We want to find the domain of h.

First, we look at f. For f(x) to be defined, 1-x has to be non-negative, i.e. 1-x ≥ 0 or x ≤ 1, because you can't take the square root of a negative number. So after this first bit of analysis, we know that the domain of h at most is the interval (-∞,1].

Now we look at g(y), which isn't defined when y=0 because you can't divide by 0. So we need to figure out what values of x map to 0. In other words, we need to solve f(x)=0. If you do that, you'll find that when x=1, f(x)=0. That means we need to rule out x=1 from the domain of h.

The domain of h, therefore, is what we had before, (-∞,1], with the point x=1 removed. In other words, it's (-∞,1).

What is g(y)?

Mod note: When you quote someone, don't chop of the [quote] tag. You did that here, so it looked like you were saying what vela actually said.

Last edited by a moderator:
So You are saying that you look at the domain of the inner function F(x) and compare it with the range of g(x).
Whatever value of the range that g(x) is you plug into the f(x) function to find the value that x cannot equal??
The domain will be x cannot equal to 1, all real numbers?

Would my other method work too?

Coco12 said:
So You are saying that you look at the domain of the inner function F(x) and compare it with the range of g(x).
Whatever value of the range that g(x) is you plug into the f(x) function to find the value that x cannot equal??
The domain will be x cannot equal to 1, all real numbers?
I can't follow what you're saying.

If a point x is to be in the domain of g(f(x)), it has to meet two conditions. If either of the conditions is not met, it's not in the domain of g(f(x)). These two conditions are:
  1. x has to be in the domain of f;
  2. Let y=f(x). y has to be in the domain of g.
In the example I gave, condition 1 rules out any value of x greater than 1 because that would make 1-x negative and you can't take the square root of a negative number. Condition 2 rules out the point x=1 because when x=1, f(x) equals 0, which isn't in the domain of g. Only points in the interval (-∞,1) meet both conditions, so that's the domain of g(f(x)).

To find the range, start by taking the domain you find and see what f maps it to. In the example, we found the range was (-∞,1). f maps this to the interval (0,∞). Can you see why? If x<1, then 1-x > 0. Taking the square root of both sides leaves you with ##\sqrt{1-x} > 0##.

Now you take this range of f we just found and see what g maps it to. In our example, g would map (0,∞) to (0,∞). So the range of g(f(x)) is (0,∞).

Last edited:

1. What is a composition function?

A composition function is a mathematical operation that combines two or more functions to create a new function. The output of one function becomes the input of the other, allowing for more complex mathematical expressions to be represented.

2. What is the domain of a composition function?

The domain of a composition function is the set of all possible input values that can be used for the function. This includes any restrictions or limitations on the input values imposed by the individual functions within the composition.

3. How do you determine the range of a composition function?

The range of a composition function is the set of all possible output values that can be obtained from the function. To determine the range, you must first evaluate the composition function for different input values and then record all the resulting output values.

4. Are there any restrictions on the domain or range of a composition function?

Yes, there can be restrictions on the domain and range of a composition function. These restrictions can be due to factors such as the types of functions being used, limitations on the input values, or limitations on the output values.

5. How do you represent the domain and range of a composition function?

The domain and range of a composition function can be represented using interval notation or set notation. Interval notation uses parentheses or brackets to indicate the range of values, while set notation uses braces and commas to list out the values. Graphs can also be used to visually represent the domain and range of a composition function.