How to multiply two matrices?

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, to multiply two matrices, you can use the Falk scheme which involves finding the dot product of each row of the first matrix with each column of the second matrix. This can be done by "tilting" the column vector onto the row vector and multiplying the corresponding components and then adding them together.
transgalactic
how to multiply two matrices??

i can't understand the rule.

where can i find a good manual to explain
how to multiply two matrices?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to take the dot product of two vectors?

If so, think of each row of the "left" matrix and each column of the "right" matrix as a vector. The number in the "ith row, jth column" is the dot product of the ith row of the "left" matrix and jth column of the "right" matrix.

i know dot product from physics when
in rigid bodies i was needed to calculate torqe

i did |a|*|b|*cos(angle between them)

can u give me an example of row and column and how to calculate their dot product?

[tex]\vec F\cdot \vec s = \vec F^\top \vec s=
\left[
\begin{array}{lll}
F_x & F_y & F_z\
\end{array}
\right]
\left[
\begin{array}{l}
s_x & s_y & s_z
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]
..your turn to do work.

I think a demonstration of two square matrices would be more helpful for him. I think he needs a demonstation of a multiplication of a 2x2 matrix, and I'm sure he will have no problems afterwards. Sometimes a good demonstration is needed if the student does not have any experience in matrix multiplication. Sometimes we have to assume that student has no background working out matrix multiplication operations.

What do you mean by 'understand'? Can you follow the 'rule', which is just plugging things into an formula?

i understood that in order to find a certain object in a matrix
we need to do a dot product of a row of one matrix
and a column of another matrix

can some one give me an example
of how to make this dot product in numbers
with a solution

for example how i make a dot product of column

and row 5 6 7
??

Last edited:
transgalactic said:

can u give me an example of row and column and how to calculate their dot product?
Then I really do feel sorry for you! That's a remarkably difficult definition to use! You will want to learn and use: the dot product of two vectors given in components is
<a b c>.<d e f>= ad+ be+ cf. And it really doesn't matter that they are "row" and "column".

transgalactic said:

Actually torque uses the sin(angle between them).
Since you mentioned dot-product and physics, I thought you would have encountered "work"... which is why I gave my example above in that form.

thank u all

Hello transgalactic,

an easy way to multiply matrices is to use the so-called Falk scheme.

1) Here is a video of somebody showing how to use the Falk scheme. It's in German but the calculations
should be self-explanatory.

2) http://statmath.wu-wien.ac.at/courses/glm/matmult.html is another example. In the example you see the Falk scheme on the right side.
Do you see the 8? You get the 8 by "tilting" the column vector (2,1,1) to the row vector (3,2,0) and forming the dot product.

So in your imagination you have the vector (2,1,1) lying on (3,2,0):
(2,1,1)
(3,2,0)
from which you get: 2*3 + 1*2+1*0 = 8

Do you see the 4 (right to the 8)? You get the 4 by "tilting" the column vector (0,2,3) to the row vector (3,2,0) and forming the dot product.

So in your imagination you have the vector (0,2,3) lying on (3,2,0):
(0,2,3)
(3,2,0)
from which you get: 0*3 + 2*2 + 3*0 = 4

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the process for multiplying two matrices?

The process for multiplying two matrices involves taking the dot product of each row of the first matrix with each column of the second matrix. This results in a new matrix with the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix.

2. How do I know if two matrices can be multiplied?

Two matrices can only be multiplied if the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. This is known as the multiplicability rule.

3. What is the significance of the order in which matrices are multiplied?

The order in which matrices are multiplied is crucial. Matrix multiplication is not commutative, meaning that the order of multiplication matters. In other words, multiplying matrix A by matrix B will result in a different matrix than multiplying matrix B by matrix A.

4. Can I multiply matrices of different sizes?

No, matrices of different sizes cannot be multiplied. The number of columns in the first matrix must always be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix in order for multiplication to be possible.

5. Is there a shortcut for multiplying matrices?

There is no shortcut for multiplying matrices. Each entry in the resulting matrix must be calculated individually using the dot product method, making it a time-consuming process for larger matrices.