Temperature of Gas: What's Happening to Atoms/Molecules?

In summary: So the pressure and temperature are the same at every point.When a gas is being compressed you are putting work into compressing it, this is turned into a higher kinetic energy for the gas (i.e higher temperature)so whether you heat the gas, compress it or both, the temperature will increase,likewise when the gas is expanding, the particles are doing work on the chamber by colliding with it, and increasing the volume, so they loose kinetic energy (i.e cool down)The temperature of a gas is determined by how much energy is in it. When you compress the gas, you are putting more energy into it, and the temperature will increase. When the gas is expanding,
Drakkith
Mentor
I'm a little confused on the temperature of a gas. If gas is heated when compressed, and cools when it expands, what is happening to the atoms/molecules of the gas itself? I can't see them somehow being accelerated or decelerated through compression/expansion, so is it a question of how much gas is in a certain point in a given amount of time or something?

Science news on Phys.org
When a gas is being compressed you are putting work into compressing it, this is turned into a higher kinetic energy for the gas (i.e higher temperature)

so whether you heat the gas, compress it or both, the temperature will increase,

likewise when the gas is expanding, the particles are doing work on the chamber by colliding with it, and increasing the volume, so they loose kinetic energy (i.e cool down)

vorcil said:
When a gas is being compressed you are putting work into compressing it, this is turned into a higher kinetic energy for the gas (i.e higher temperature)

so whether you heat the gas, compress it or both, the temperature will increase,

likewise when the gas is expanding, the particles are doing work on the chamber by colliding with it, and increasing the volume, so they loose kinetic energy (i.e cool down)

Even if you are the one that causes it to expand? Like tugging on a piston to make the chamber larger?

Drakkith said:
Even if you are the one that causes it to expand? Like tugging on a piston to make the chamber larger?

It would depend,

If the tug used more force than the expansion force, it would still loose temperature but the temperature drop would be very small

if the gas was extremely hot, the effect of someone tugging on it would be very small compared to the expansion force

also the rate/change of expansion/compression effects the temperature change

Drakkith;2904417 I can't see them somehow being accelerated or decelerated through compression/expansion said:
They ARE accelerated or decelerated during compression or expansion. Think of compressing the gas with a piston. The piston is moving inward, so each time a molecule of the gas hits the piston, it speeds up a little, just like a ping-pong ball bouncing off a paddle that is moving towards it. When the gas is expanded, the piston is moving away from the gas, so the gas molecules slow down a little each time they bounce off it.

Drakkith said:
I'm a little confused on the temperature of a gas. If gas is heated when compressed, and cools when it expands, what is happening to the atoms/molecules of the gas itself? I can't see them somehow being accelerated or decelerated through compression/expansion, so is it a question of how much gas is in a certain point in a given amount of time or something?

Why does the gas *have* to heat up when it's compressed? P1V1 = P2V2 is isothermal.

FAQ: Temperature of Gas: What's Happening to Atoms/Molecules?

1. What is temperature and how is it related to the movement of atoms and molecules?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the atoms and molecules in a substance. As temperature increases, the movement and speed of the atoms and molecules also increases.

2. What causes the temperature of a gas to change?

The temperature of a gas can change due to various factors such as energy input (heat), changes in pressure, or changes in volume. These changes affect the kinetic energy of the gas particles, leading to a change in temperature.

3. How does temperature affect the behavior of gas particles?

As temperature increases, the gas particles gain more kinetic energy and move faster, resulting in more frequent and energetic collisions. This leads to an increase in pressure and volume of the gas. At lower temperatures, the particles have less kinetic energy and move slower, resulting in fewer and less energetic collisions and a decrease in pressure and volume.

4. Can gas particles have different temperatures within the same gas?

Yes, the individual particles within a gas can have different temperatures. This is because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy, and some particles may have more or less kinetic energy than the average.

5. How does the temperature of a gas affect its state of matter?

The temperature of a gas is directly related to its state of matter. At higher temperatures, a gas will have more kinetic energy and can overcome the attractive forces between particles, causing the gas to expand and become a liquid or solid. At lower temperatures, a gas will have less kinetic energy and the attractive forces will dominate, causing the gas to condense and become a liquid or solid.