Compounding Interest Formulas for Varying Annual Deposits and Interest Rates

• Thread starter Eph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the conversation discusses how to set up a simple formula in Excel for investing a starting amount of $1000 and adding $10,000 annually for 10 years, with compound interest. The suggestion is to have the first cell with the starting amount and use an interest formula for the cells below, referencing the cell above as the principle and adding in the annual deposit. The question of how to set it up for a fixed annual deposit of $10,000 for 10 years with compound interest is also addressed. The solution is to follow the same instructions as before.
Eph
I think I found a simple formula if I was putting in the same amount of money each year, but what if I wanted to start with 1000$, add 10k$ for 10 years, and then watch it compound at X interest; how would i set that up?

And if you know, can you put this formula into Excell.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Eph said:
I think I found a simple formula if I was putting in the same amount of money each year, but what if I wanted to start with 1000$, add 10k$ for 10 years, and then watch it compound at X interest; how would i set that up?

It's very easy to do with Excel -- just have the first cell with the starting amount, then for each cell below it have the interest formula beneath, referring to the cell above as principle, and add in the amount you deposit each year.

What about if you want to just put in a deposit of say 10k per annum for 10 years but have it still compound at the same yearly rate?

Eph said:
What about if you want to just put in a deposit of say 10k per annum for 10 years but have it still compound at the same yearly rate?

Yep, just like I said. Follow the instructions above.

What is a compounding interest formula?

A compounding interest formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the total amount of interest earned on an initial principal amount over a specific period of time. This formula takes into account the interest earned on the initial principal amount as well as the interest earned on any previously accumulated interest.

How is compounding interest different from simple interest?

Compounding interest refers to the process of earning interest not only on the initial principal amount, but also on any previously accumulated interest. This results in a higher total interest earned compared to simple interest, which only calculates interest on the initial principal amount.

What is the formula for calculating compounding interest?

The formula for calculating compounding interest is A = P(1 + r/n)^(nt), where A is the final amount, P is the principal amount, r is the annual interest rate, n is the number of times the interest is compounded per year, and t is the number of years.

What is the difference between annual compounding and continuous compounding?

Annual compounding refers to interest that is calculated and added to the principal amount once per year, while continuous compounding refers to interest that is calculated and added to the principal amount an infinite number of times per year. Continuous compounding results in a higher total amount of interest earned.

How can I use compounding interest formulas in real life?

Compounding interest formulas can be used to calculate the total amount of interest earned on savings accounts, loans, investments, and other financial products. They can also be used to determine the most beneficial interest rates and compounding frequencies for different financial decisions.