Why does refraction occur differently in certain situations?

• Thread starter ryansuchocki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Refraction
In summary, the first situation occurs because the white lines are the refracted waves. The second situation occurs because the wavefront within the grey medium is not a physical wavefront- it is discontinuous, whereas prior to entering the medium, it was continuous.
ryansuchocki
Now, I've asked about this on some other forums: and it seems all people are able to to is repeat what happens at refraction, but not actually to answer the question:

[PLAIN]http://ryansuchocki.co.uk/media/tmp.jpg

From the above image, why does the first sittuation occur rather than the second. (the white lines are the refracted waves.) I have been told that the waves which make up a perpendicular wavefront are not 'bonded', and are not inclined to remain 'in step' (making void the marching army or 'car off cliff' analogies) - so what is the scientific reason behind the connection between speed and direction, in an individual wave?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
The diagram 'wavefront 2' fails because the wavefront within the grey medium is not a physical wavefront- it is discontinuous, whereas prior to entering the medium, it was continuous.

Why can't a wavefront break apart - when it is simply a row of perpendicular, in-step, waves?

The second case is exactly what is happening - just draw it with a large number of rays very close together.

mgb_phys said:
The second case is exactly what is happening - just draw it with a large number of rays very close together.

But then the entire wavefront would continue to move in the same direction, but rotated.

As has already been said, once you keep drawing more and more rays into your diagram #2, the wave-front will look like in #1.
ryansuchocki said:
But then the entire wavefront would continue to move in the same direction, but rotated.
You are only using half of the wave theory: your approach isn't sophisticated enough to calculate the intensity in each direction, so it is fairly natural to be unsure which direction the wave is moving. Nonetheless, you will later learn that the concepts of position and velocity are intertwined for waves.

cesiumfrog said:
As has already been said, once you keep drawing more and more rays into your diagram #2, the wave-front will look like in #1.

You are only using half of the wave theory: your approach isn't sophisticated enough to calculate the intensity in each direction, so it is fairly natural to be unsure which direction the wave is moving. Nonetheless, you will later learn that the concepts of position and velocity are intertwined for waves.

Thankyou very much,

do you know of any websites/books etc from which i can learn this second half of the wave theory? half-understanding is frustrating!

mgb_phys said:

Are you sure? The second example looks like what would happen if you accounted for the slow down in velocity of the ray but failed to account for ray bending at the interface.

To my knowedge, the green line does not have the same ray parameter as the white line and its energy would cancel out by Huygen's principle.

A ray (photon) doesn't bend at the surface it just slows down, it's the effect of rays slowing down that causes the wavefront to bend.

mgb_phys said:
A ray (photon) doesn't bend at the surface it just slows down, it's the effect of rays slowing down that causes the wavefront to bend.

Okay, but then surely something like this would happen:

http://www.ryansuchocki.co.uk/media/tmp2.jpg

I've found the answer!

It all has to do with probability!

Why didn't someone just tell me to look up Huygens-Fresnel principle!?

Thank's for an interesting discussion every-one!

ryansuchocki said:
Okay, but then surely something like this would happen:
No the green lines are a wavefront, they are drawn between the ends of rays at the same time point.
So draw the green wavy line between points on the green arrows at the same length and you get a bent beam

Yes, bent, but still traveling in the same direction.

mgb_phys said:

I come from a background in seismology where rays are only (infinite frequency) approximations of the path along which energy travels from a source to a receiver.

I am surprised that rays only travel in straight lines. I thought they traveled the shortest path between source and receiver, which would mean that when they reached a medium with higher/slower velocity they would bend to find the shortest path. How would you explain mirages without light bending?

http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~carltape/research/pubs/Tape00_mirage.pdf

ryansuchocki said:
do you know of any websites/books etc from which i can learn this second half of the wave theory?
To find the intensity at a point, you have to add up all the contributions for every point that the wave could have come from (e.g., by integrating along an earlier wave-front) and every possible path it could have taken in between (so the math is a little advanced), keeping track of how much the contribution is constructive or destructive. If you're not interested in an Optics textbook (such as Saleh and Teich) you might appreciate Feynman's little QED book. The simplified result is that the ray keeps its direction perpendicular to the wave-fronts.

You are using the Huygens construction, whereby every point of the incident wave acts as a source of spherical waves. The physical interpretation ultimately comes from Maxwell's equations, and the derivation of Snell's Law from Maxwell's equations is found in any upper level E&M book.

1. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums. This bending occurs because light travels at different speeds in different mediums.

2. What causes refraction?

Refraction is caused by the change in speed of light as it passes through different mediums. The change in speed is due to the change in the density of the medium.

3. How does refraction affect the direction of light?

Refraction causes light to change direction as it passes through different mediums. This change in direction is due to the change in speed of light.

4. What is the difference between refraction and reflection?

Refraction and reflection are both ways that light can change direction. However, refraction occurs when light passes through a medium, while reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface.

5. How is refraction used in everyday life?

Refraction has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in eyeglasses, camera lenses, and microscopes to help us see clearly. It is also used in the design of optical fibers for communication and in the creation of prisms for splitting light into its component colors.