What Does Change in Gradient Mean for Road Design?

• Thread starter tomtomtom1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gradient
In summary, the conversation discusses a gradient problem involving two straight lines representing a road's vertical profile. The question asks if the change in gradient between the two lines exceeds 1 in 500, and the individual gradients of lines AB and BC are given. The conversation also includes the attempt at solving the problem and asking for confirmation on the answer. The expert believes the answer is correct, but is unsure if the question is asking for the combined gradient or individual gradients.
tomtomtom1
Hi all

I was hoping someone could help solve a gradient problem, I am more concerned about understanding what the question is asking me.

Homework Statement

I have two straight lines which represents the vertical profile of a road.

Line AB has a gradient of 1 in 169 (for every 1 unit in the Y axis, you move 169 units in the X axis)

Line BC has a gradient of 1 in 410 (for every 1 unit in the Y axis, you move 410 units in the X axis)

The question is, if the Change In Gradient between the two lines exceeds 1 in 500 then the road must be re-designed.

A. Do the gradients of lines AB & BC exceed 1 in 500 – YES / NO.
B. What is the change in gradient between Lines AB & BC.

There are two parts of the question I am struggling to understand.
• The first bit is understanding the change in statement.
• The second bit is if the change in gradient is 1 in 600 for example then I would say that this is a shallower gradient and has not exceeded the 1 in 500 gradient threshold. If the change in gradient was 1 in 150 for example then this is a steeper gradient and has exceeded the 1 in 500 gradient threshold.

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

From the statement “Change in” I would subtract the gradients of the two lines. So my first step would be:-

1/169 – 1/410 = 410/69290 – 169/69290 (I found a common denominator)

410/69290 – 169/69290 = 241/69290 (subtracted 410 – 169)

241/69290 = 1/ 287.5104 (rounded to 1 in 289)

Answer To Part A = YES the gradients has exceeded 1 in 500
Answer To Part B = The change in gradient is 1 in 289.

Is my thinking correct or have I got it wrong.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I have attached a sketch of the problem.

Thanks

Attachments

• gradient problem.pdf
    17.9 KB · Views: 291
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you have the right idea. However, for part A of the question I am not sure if they are asking you to determine if the gradient of AB and BC combined (AC) would 1/500 or if they are considering the individual lines. Either way, I believe you have to right answer.

FAQ: What Does Change in Gradient Mean for Road Design?

1. What is a gradient problem?

A gradient problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the direction and magnitude of change in a particular variable or function. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science to optimize processes and solve complex equations.

2. Why do we need help with gradient problems?

Solving gradient problems requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. It can be challenging for those who are not familiar with advanced math or do not have access to specialized software. Seeking help with gradient problems can provide valuable insights and save time in finding a solution.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve gradient problems?

There are several techniques used to solve gradient problems, such as the method of steepest descent, conjugate gradient method, and Newton's method. These methods involve calculating partial derivatives and using iterative processes to find the optimal solution.

4. Can gradient problems be solved without using mathematical software?

Yes, it is possible to solve gradient problems without using mathematical software. However, it can be time-consuming and challenging, especially for complex problems. Using specialized software can make the process more efficient and accurate.

5. How can understanding gradient problems benefit us?

Understanding gradient problems can benefit us in many ways, including improving problem-solving skills, optimizing processes and systems, and gaining insights into the behavior of functions and variables. It is a valuable tool for scientists, engineers, and mathematicians in various fields of study.