Effect of spinning magnets on gauss readings

In summary, when you spin a magnet, the reading on a meter becomes very strong. This is because the spinning magnet creates an electro-magnet, which the meter reads as a high reading.
quarke
My question is about the strength of magnets and how the strength is affected when you spin a magnet. When I use my meter to read the gauss of a permanent magnet I don't get much of a reading at all. However, when I spin the magnet the reading becomes very strong bouncing the needle quite high or showing a high reading on a digital meter as well.

Is this truly an accurate reading or is the spinning magnet actually influencing the meter to give incorrect high readings? The main reason I ask is I'm trying to learn all I can about emf and how it affects your health and I would like to know if things such as my fish tank motor, which can give readings off the chart of my meters, are truly a potential health issue or just showing a faulty gauss.

I tried to web search but kept running into MRI websites. If someone has a link that explains this it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of meter are you using?

And no, your fish tank motor is not a hazard to your health. There is nothing you can buy at a best buy, wal mart, or other similar store that will be a hazard to your health if you use it correctly. Only ionizing radiation, that of the UV range and above, or EXTREMELY high strength static fields can do any harm to you. (And only extremely high strength electric fields at that) Unfortunately the internet is so full of crappy nonsense claiming that electromagnetic fields are harmful to you that it is very difficult to find out the truth. Multiple health studies conducted over decades has shown no link between normal everyday EM fields or low frequency/intensity radiation and health problems. I wish I had a reference to give you. Perhaps a search of PF using the search function will turn up a relevant thread on the subject with a proper reference.

I have a trifield 100xe and a lutron emf-822a. Maybe we can steer clear of the health side as I know of some studies currently going on that may very well show lower levels do in fact impact health, especially children.

I guess I just want to know if a gauss reading on something like a running motor is actually accurate with these types of meters. It just seems like a single static magnet reading versus the same magnet spinning is very different and I'm unsure if it is an actual reading or an influence on the meter.

I'll keep searching the web too.

Where is the reading done relative to the spinning magnet axis, which way is the magnet spun relative to the n-s poles and how is the magnet spun (ie, is it a bar magnet tapped to something spinning or are you measuring an electro-magnet)?

There are lots of interesting results with spinning magnets, unusual but fully explainable.

Diagram would be very useful. Let us know if you have already figured this out.

I can understand your curiosity about the effect of spinning magnets on gauss readings and how it relates to potential health concerns. It is important to note that gauss readings are a measure of magnetic flux density, not the strength of a magnet. The strength of a magnet is measured in units of magnetic moment or magnetic field strength.

When a magnet is spun, its magnetic field is changing rapidly, which can cause fluctuations in the gauss readings. This is because the movement of the magnet creates a changing magnetic field, which induces electric currents in the meter, leading to a stronger reading. This is known as the Faraday effect.

However, this does not mean that the spinning magnet is giving incorrect high readings. The gauss readings are still accurate measures of the magnetic flux density at a particular point. It is important to note that the strength of a magnet does not change when it is spun, only the reading on the gauss meter.

Regarding your concern about the potential health effects of electromagnetic fields (EMFs), it is important to understand that the strength of a magnetic field decreases rapidly with distance. So, even if your fish tank motor is giving off high gauss readings, the strength of the magnetic field at a distance from the motor may not be significant enough to cause any potential health issues.

I would recommend consulting reputable sources, such as the World Health Organization, for information on the potential health effects of EMFs. As for resources specifically explaining the effect of spinning magnets on gauss readings, you may find useful information in physics textbooks or on reliable scientific websites.

In conclusion, spinning magnets can affect gauss readings due to the Faraday effect, but this does not mean the readings are inaccurate. The strength of a magnet does not change when it is spun, and the potential health effects of EMFs depend on the strength of the magnetic field at a particular distance from the source. I hope this helps to answer your question.

1. What is the effect of spinning magnets on gauss readings?

The effect of spinning magnets on gauss readings is known as the Faraday effect, which was discovered by Michael Faraday in 1831. This phenomenon occurs when a magnetic field is applied to a material and induces a current or voltage in the material, causing a change in the magnetic field. When magnets are spun, they create a changing magnetic field which can affect the gauss readings in nearby materials.

2. How do spinning magnets affect gauss readings?

Spinning magnets can affect gauss readings by inducing a current or voltage in nearby materials, as explained by the Faraday effect. This can cause a change in the magnetic field and thus impact the gauss readings. Additionally, the speed and direction of the spinning magnets can also affect the gauss readings as it determines the strength and direction of the changing magnetic field.

3. Can spinning magnets increase gauss readings?

Yes, spinning magnets can increase gauss readings due to the Faraday effect. As the magnets spin, they create a changing magnetic field which can induce a current or voltage in nearby materials, resulting in an increase in gauss readings. The strength of the magnets and the speed of their rotation can also impact the magnitude of the increase in gauss readings.

4. Do different types of magnets have different effects on gauss readings when spun?

Yes, different types of magnets can have varying effects on gauss readings when spun. The strength of the magnetic field and the speed at which the magnets are spun can impact the gauss readings, but the type of magnet can also play a role. For example, neodymium magnets are known for their strong magnetic fields and can have a greater impact on gauss readings compared to weaker magnets.

5. Are there any safety concerns when experimenting with spinning magnets and gauss readings?

Yes, there are safety concerns when experimenting with spinning magnets and gauss readings. Strong magnets can be dangerous if not handled properly and can cause injury if they come into contact with each other or with metal objects. Additionally, spinning magnets can also generate heat, so it is important to handle them with caution and use protective equipment when conducting experiments with them.