Integrating Momentum Space: Replacing hslash with d

In summary, someone at CERN is trying to figure out how to produce the d slash notation in the integration measure for momentum space, but has not been able to find a formal way to do it. Robphy has invented a way to do it using negative space.
the1ceman
does anyone knw the code for how to produce the d slash notation in the integration measure for momentum space? Where (d slash)^n X=(d^n)X/((2pi)^n).
Basically all i want to do is replace the h:
[tex]\hslash[/tex]
with a d.

Physics news on Phys.org
not!

Hi the1ceman! :smile:
the1ceman said:
does anyone knw the code for how to produce the d slash notation in the integration measure for momentum space? Where (d slash)^n X=(d^n)X/((2pi)^n).
Basically all i want to do is replace the h:
[tex]\hslash[/tex]
with a d.

hmm … interesting :rolleyes:

i did a google search, and found this …
NeutronStar said:
Here's a crude make-shift attempt for whatever it's worth. I just did this by goofing around. :biggrin:

I have no idea how to do it formally, of if there even is a formal way to do it.

[tex] \displaystyle{\not} \partial = \gamma_i \partial^i [/tex]

[tex] \displaystyle{\not} p = \gamma_i p^i [/tex]

[tex] \displaystyle{\not}A = \gamma _i A^i [/tex]

He did it by typing \displaystyle{\not} …

but you can also do it with just {\not} …

(presumably because LaTeX regards a letter with a slash through it as "not" that letter :biggrin:)

[tex]{\not} \partial = \gamma_i \partial^i[/tex]
[tex]{\not} p = \gamma_i p^i[/tex]
[tex]{\not}A = \gamma _i A^i[/tex]

thanks for the reply tim but I am not after the feynman slash notation! Basically in the latex command \hslash i just want to replace the 'h' by a 'd', so that the top end of the 'd' has a diagonal line through it, not the whole letter (as in the feynman slash notation).
Im almost there, basically i have to create a macro, but i need to find the code for the 'slash' in \hslash.

Try this
[tex]
\newcommand{\dslash}{d \hspace{-0.8ex}\rule[1.2ex]{0.8ex}{.1ex}}
\dslash \hbar
[/tex]
(using a horizontal bar).

negative space!

robphy said:
Try this
[tex]
\dslash \hbar
[/tex]

oh, robphy, that's great! :tongue2: …

you've invented negative space! :biggrin:

you've inserted a negative space "after" the d (using \hspace{-0.8ex}), and put a horizontal bar in it. :approve:

(btw, you can leave out "\newcommand" at the start, and "\dslash " at the end: [tex]
{d \hspace{-0.8ex}\rule[1.2ex]{0.8ex}{.1ex}}
[/tex] :wink:)

Does CERN know about this? :smile:

robphy said:
Try this
[tex]
\dslash \hbar
[/tex]

thanks for the reply, i have actually done this already, but with a different command, is it possible to get the 'slash' slightly horizontal? Sorry for being so pedantic!

1. What is momentum space and why is it important in science?

Momentum space is a mathematical representation of a physical system in terms of its momentum values. It is important in science because it allows us to analyze the behavior and interactions of particles in a system, and it is also a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

2. How does replacing hslash with d in momentum space integration affect our understanding of quantum mechanics?

Replacing hslash (the reduced Planck's constant) with d (the differential operator) in momentum space integration is a more precise and general approach that can better describe the behavior of quantum particles. It also allows for a more intuitive interpretation of certain quantum phenomena.

3. Can momentum space integration with d be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, momentum space integration with d is a universal approach that can be applied to all physical systems, including both classical and quantum systems.

4. What are the benefits of using d instead of hslash in momentum space integration?

Using d instead of hslash in momentum space integration allows for a more accurate and flexible description of quantum particles, as well as a more intuitive understanding of their behavior. It also simplifies certain calculations and equations in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to using d in momentum space integration?

While using d in momentum space integration offers many advantages, there are some limitations. It may not be applicable in certain cases where specific boundary conditions or symmetries are present. Additionally, it may not accurately describe certain phenomena at extremely small scales, such as at the Planck length.