Converting engine torque to applied linear force

In summary, the conversation is about using a given chart for engine torque vs. engine speed to approximate the 'applied linear force' on a car, assuming no wheel slippage. The speaker is looking for a rough approximation and suggests using the average engine torque at 200 N.m, converting it through the gearbox and drive shaft, and then using the wheel radius to convert to a linear force. They are also discussing the role of different gears in the gearbox and the assumption of equal power to all wheels.
preet
Hello,

For a given vehicle, I want to use a given chart for engine torque vs. engine speed (or hp vs. engine speed) and convert it to an approximate 'applied linear force' on the car (assuming no wheel slippage). I need a very rough approximation, so I've averaged the engine torque and assumed it's nearly constant over all engine speeds at 200 N.m.

I don't know how to convert this to an applied linear force... I'm thinking 200 N.m at the engine -> conversion ratio for the gearbox -> conversion ratio for the drive shaft = X N.m at the wheels. Then I can use the wheel radius to convert to a linear force.

* Is what I'm doing making any sense? Can I approximate the linear force I need in another way that makes more sense? The assumption I need to make is the force provided by the engine through all vehicle speeds is the same.
* If I'm on the right track, how do I account for the different gears in the gearbox?
* Is the engine torque = sum of wheel torques? Make the assumption all wheels get equal power (awd 50/50 central split)

I'd appreciate any tips

-Preet

Science news on Phys.org
Assuming no losses:

Wheel torque = engine torque x overall gear ratio
Wheel rpm = engine rpm / overall gear ratio

1. What is engine torque?

Engine torque is a measure of the rotational force produced by an engine. It is typically measured in units of pound-feet (lb-ft) or Newton-meters (Nm).

2. What is applied linear force?

Applied linear force is the force produced in a straight line. It is typically measured in units of pounds (lbs) or Newtons (N).

3. How do you convert engine torque to applied linear force?

To convert engine torque to applied linear force, you can use the formula: force = torque / radius, where the radius is the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This formula assumes that the force is being applied at a right angle to the direction of rotation.

4. Why is it important to convert engine torque to applied linear force?

Converting engine torque to applied linear force allows us to understand the amount of force that is being applied in a straight line, which is useful in many engineering and scientific applications. It also allows us to compare the performance of different engines and determine their efficiency.

5. What factors can affect the conversion of engine torque to applied linear force?

The conversion of engine torque to applied linear force can be affected by several factors, including the distance from the center of rotation to the point of force application, the angle at which the force is applied, and the type of rotational motion (e.g. constant speed vs. accelerating). Friction and other external forces may also play a role in the conversion process.