How can I power a Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a power supply (DC) to power a small Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler/Heater with specific specs. The recommended power supply is Model 442-1A: Temperature Controller, but it is not readily available for purchase. The conversation also mentions the use of resistors and the need for the entire setup to fit within a specific size.
zmillerkoren
Hi I recently purchased a small (15mmx15mm) Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler/Heater. I am using this for a prototype of mine but I can't find a way to power it. The specs are 1Amp 0.8Volts.
I was just wondering if anyone knew where to find a power supply (DC) to power it. I could also use resistors, but I'm not quite sure how to do so. This all has to fit within a size of about the length of a pencil with a width of a ruler (cylinder).
Any input will be greatly appreciated, Thanks,
Zach

Physics news on Phys.org
zmillerkoren (Zach), Welcome to Physics Forums!

The power supply you need is: Model 442-1A: Temperature Controller

It is used in this detector:
Model ID-441-C
InGaAs Near Infrared Detector
with Preamplifier and Thermoelectric Cooler
http://www.piacton.com

I could not find how or where to buy it, however. Princeton Instruments and Acton Instruments sites were no help. Wherever you acquired your Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler/Heater ought to be able to either supply one, or tell you how to locate it.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

1. How does a Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler work?

A Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler works by utilizing the Peltier effect, which is the transfer of heat between two different materials when an electric current is passed through them. This effect causes one side of the cooler to become hot and the other side to become cold, making it an efficient cooling device.

2. What power source is needed to operate a Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler?

A Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler requires a direct current (DC) power source, typically ranging from 12-24 volts. It is important to choose a power source that can provide enough current to meet the cooler's power requirements.

3. Can I use a battery to power a Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler?

Yes, a battery can be used to power a Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler as long as it can provide the necessary voltage and current. However, it is important to note that the cooler may drain the battery quickly, so it is recommended to use a rechargeable battery or have a backup power source.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when powering a Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler?

Yes, it is important to handle the cooler and power source with caution as the device can become hot or cold depending on how it is connected. It is also recommended to use a power supply with built-in safety features, such as overcurrent protection, to prevent any potential hazards.

5. Can I control the cooling temperature of a Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler?

Yes, the cooling temperature of a Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current flowing through it. This can be achieved by using a variable DC power supply or by using a pulse width modulation (PWM) controller to adjust the duty cycle of the current.