Proof by contrapositive = modus tollens?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the confusion between Modus tollens and proof by contrapositive. It was discussed that Modus tollens assumes the validity of the statement "If p then q" whereas proof by contrapositive starts with the assumption of "p" and tries to derive "q." It was also mentioned that this difference may just be a logical nuance. Overall, the conversation clarified the distinction between the two concepts.
Ryker
I was just looking at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_tollens" and found the line "Modus tollens is sometimes confused with proof by contradiction or proof by contrapositive." I thought proof by contrapositive and modus tollens are one and the same though. Is that then not the case or is Wikipedia wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not too sure on this, but it seems to be it may just be a logical nuance.

In Modus tollens proper, I believe (If p, then q), is made as an assumption. Or another way, I think the validity of the statement If p then q is already assumed in Modus tollens.
Versus when performing a proof by contrapositive, we don't know that the statement (If p then q) is actually valid, so we proceed to try to derive q after assuming only p. (We can't assume the entire implication to perform a proof, there would be nothing to prove.) Proof by Contrapositive we assume not q and then derive not p.

Did any of that make sense or did I just make up a whole bunch of stuff?

Yeah, it does make sense, quite a bit actually. Thanks!

1. What is the concept of proof by contrapositive?

Proof by contrapositive is a method of proving a conditional statement by showing that the statement's contrapositive is true. The contrapositive of a conditional statement is formed by switching the hypothesis and conclusion and negating both. This method is equivalent to the modus tollens rule of logic.

2. How is proof by contrapositive different from direct proof?

Direct proof involves starting with the hypothesis and using logical steps to arrive at the conclusion. On the other hand, proof by contrapositive involves starting with the negation of the conclusion and showing that it implies the negation of the hypothesis. Both methods result in proving the same conditional statement, but proof by contrapositive can be useful when direct proof is difficult.

3. What is the relationship between proof by contrapositive and modus tollens?

Proof by contrapositive and modus tollens are equivalent methods of proving a conditional statement. Both involve starting with the negation of the conclusion and showing that it implies the negation of the hypothesis. This means that if one method is used, the other can be used interchangeably to prove the same statement.

4. Can proof by contrapositive be used for all types of conditional statements?

Yes, proof by contrapositive can be used for all types of conditional statements, including those with quantifiers (all, some, none) and those with multiple conditions. As long as the contrapositive of the statement can be formed and proven, this method can be used.

5. Why is proof by contrapositive a useful method in mathematics and science?

Proof by contrapositive can be useful in mathematics and science because it allows for the proving of conditional statements that may be difficult to prove using direct methods. It can also simplify the logic and steps needed to prove a statement, making it easier to understand and apply in various contexts. Additionally, this method can be used to prove the validity of logical arguments and to establish relationships between different statements.